Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.4 before reporting any issue

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lauren 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
October 18, 2018 at 4:10 am

josephD-6

I was told this was a WPML issue and not a themes issue. Please refer to screenshots.

October 18, 2018 at 8:20 pm #2829562

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-05:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this.

Please be sure to make a full backup of your site and database. Then, go to WPML -> Support -> Troubleshooting. Look for 'Clean up' and click the following:

- Synchronize posts taxonomies
- Clear the cache in WPML
- Remove ghost entries from the translation tables
- Fix element_type collation
- Set language information
- Fix Terms count
- Fix post assignment for translations

If this does not resolve the issue, I'd like to have you try a few things so we can try to isolate the issue. This is just to help me identify if it might be a conflict with another plugin or theme that is causing the problem.

** IMPORTANT ** Please backup a working copy of site files and database before continuing.

Update all WPML plugins & WordPress core.

Disable all plugins except WPML related and then temporarily change the theme to a default WordPress such as TwentySeventeen. With these settings, is the issue resolved?

October 20, 2018 at 2:10 am #2833365

josephD-6

Hi, none of these recommendations have fixed the issue. How do we proceed?

October 20, 2018 at 11:36 pm #2834713

Lauren
Supporter

To best troubleshoot the issue, please make a snapshot of your site using the Duplicator plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/. This will allow me to try and duplicate the error so that I can run further tests without interrupting your live site.

Once the snapshot is complete, either upload the snapshot ZIP file and the installer.php file to a file sharing service such as Dropbox (and share the link in your reply) or right click the Duplicator links in your wp-admin and paste in your reply.

Please note: It is important to reduce the size of the package so please exclude some paths like /cache or /uploads and also exclude archives and media files.

I will also need the username and password of an account that was created BEFORE creating the duplicator package.

I will enable the next reply to be private so only you and I have access to it!

October 21, 2018 at 9:10 pm
October 22, 2018 at 6:01 pm #2839338

Lauren
Supporter

Thanks for sending the files. I was able to set up a copy of your site locally, and the categories look like they are assigned correctly. To test this, I changed the theme to Twenty Seventeen. As you can see from my screenshot, the categories display correctly in the sidebar with the correct amount of posts. I then reactivated your theme and when I add the categories widget to the footer, I also see the correct categories. So I think it is an issue with the theme why the categories are not displaying in the archive page.

Can you try testing this on your live site and let me know if you have the same results?

October 23, 2018 at 2:01 am #2840155

josephD-6

Hi Lauren,

I'm not sure you understand the issue. The categories widget works perfectly fine. I'm referring to the categories under the category archive pages. In my theme, that is not a widget.

October 23, 2018 at 2:00 pm #2842743

Lauren
Supporter

I understand that from your screenshots, the issue is with the category names on the archive page. The problem is that it is your theme that chooses how to display this. I only show the widget screenshots to explain that the categories are assigned correctly, because if I understand the email from your theme author, they are saying that the categories may not be assigned correctly. If that was the case, the categories would not show up correctly even in the widget.

Perhaps the theme author can give some insight as to how they call the categories to display on the archive pages?