This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I am using Elementor and I want to translate an anchor link that was added inside a text block in the Elementor edit page.

Solution: Go to the posts/pages main page inside your WordPress backend, change the language flag at the top according to the language that you want to edit the Elementor page for, click "Edit with Elementor", click on the block with the text, click on the "Text" tab, modify the link and then re-save the page.

Even if you are using WPML Classic Translation Editor or WPML Advanced Translation Editor, WPML doesn't officially support the functionality of translating links inside text boxes (practically links that are added inside a text editor area is considered manual content and it should be translated manually as it is mentioned above).

If however, the link that you want to change is the link of a button created with Elementor, that link should appear inside the WPML CTE or WPML ATE editor with no issues.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by maurizioG-5 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
July 3, 2019 at 10:06 am #4134459

maurizioG-5

I am trying to:
Translate URL in German for the 2 links in the text editor

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link

I expected to see:

<p><a href="<em><u>hidden link</u></em>">Preise und Kaufbedingungen</a></p>
<p><a href="<em><u>hidden link</u></em>">Kostenlose Dienste</a></p>

Instead, I got:

<p><a href="<em><u>hidden link</u></em>">Preise und Kaufbedingungen</a></p>
<p><a href="<em><u>hidden link</u></em>">Kostenlose Dienste</a></p>
July 3, 2019 at 12:08 pm #4136039

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of the site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box.

The private box looks like this: hidden link

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

July 4, 2019 at 3:08 pm #4144797

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hello and thank you for your patience 🙂

I went here (hidden link), clicked the "Modifica comunque" button, clicked "Edit with Elementor", clicked on the block with the text, clicked on the "Text" tab, modified the link and resaved.

It seems that the right links show up here now:
hidden link

Please let me know if this works well for you, too, as it is working for me.

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

July 4, 2019 at 4:26 pm #4145411

maurizioG-5

Thank you, but what I didn't explain clearly in this ticket (I'm sorry for that) is that I want WPML takes care of links translation as it is supposed to do. We have an editor that doesn't know how to use Elementor so I've chosen the ATE provided by WPML.

Long story short: some links are translated by WPML, some not (as I reported in the test page you've just edited).

Let me know, please. Thank you!

July 5, 2019 at 2:13 pm #4152003

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

Aw, now I understand your point.

I did not realize that you were referring to things in that way.

So, it is true that sometimes, links are translated (some are, some aren't), but WPML doesn't officially support that functionality (practically links that are added inside a text editor area is considered manual content and it should be translated manually as I presented above).

However, if we would talk about a link on a button created with Elementor, that should be a completely different story as the link is an attribute of the button element.

Also, the same thing will apply when we are on a post/page in a specific language - when selecting another language in the language switcher, WPML should automatically redirect that to the corresponding language and link correctly which it does.

But adding <a> HTML tags (like we have in our example on your site) is considered manual content and it should be translated manually.

I hope that I was able to explain this in a way that you understand what I mean.

Please let me know if you still have questions about this.

I would be more than happy to help!

Just a note that I won't be working on the weekend so I will be able to get back to you at the beginning of next week.

Kind regards,
Mihai

July 6, 2019 at 7:51 am #4155259

maurizioG-5

Hi, sorry for my lack of clarity. Anyway, ATE has a functionality to translate only the anchor text (see screenshot) and not the HREF attribute of the tag <a>. This is less than ideal in the workflow provided by ATE (I think you'll agree) because an editor needs to translate the text and, if the link isn't properly translated, to access Elementor editor to adjust it conveniently. The point is that the average editor cannot use Elementor editor even if it is quite easy to learn. However, thank you very much for your help: I hope WPML will improve ATE to make editors 100% sure of translated URLs. Ciao!

July 8, 2019 at 3:55 pm #4164175

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi and thank you very much for your feedback.

If you have a few minutes would you please add your suggestions here, too:
https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/

That way they will get straight to the team that's handling the features.

Also, can you please mark this current ticket as resolved?

I wish you an amazing week!

Kind regards,
Mihai

July 11, 2019 at 7:12 am #4186589

maurizioG-5

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!