This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Marcel 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcel.

Author Posts
September 10, 2019 at 9:33 am #4543639

Yavor Plamenov

I am trying to:
We are adding a 4rd language to the site (French). The process is as follows:
- the translations are done in Word
- the admin assigns translation jobs to himself and then enters the translation strings.
Over the past 3 weeks the translator has translated almost all pages of the site (39 of about 41 pages total). However, in the moment only a section of the translations are visible in the back-end (17 pages). The remaining pages are marked as not translated in French.
I have looked for the respective translation jobs both in the interface and in the database, but could not find them. I also looked for the strings, which I know have been translated, in the database and could also not find them.
I repeated the search with a back-up of the database from the last week and could not find the stings or translation jobs there either.
While trying to detect the problem, I ran troubleshootng steps from the support page in the interface on the (live) database. The troubleshooting resolved what is possibly an indication of a technical problem, but did not help recover the last data. The indication I am referring to is a sharp increase in the size of the _icl_striing_pages table in the database, which had grown rapidly over the past week to reach a size of almost 260 MB. After the troubleshooting the table was reduced to about 30 MB.
Translating the pages in question required a considerable effort from the client and we are looking for ways to recover the data and ensure the bug will not affect future translations.
The website had been translated to Japanese and German over the past moths and is running without issues in these languages. We have not made any technical changes to the site between launching the previous (German) translation and the current translation effort.

September 10, 2019 at 9:59 am #4543777

Yavor Plamenov

I am sorry, I did not realise you introduced a chat system. What is the best way to provide with with access to the site?

September 10, 2019 at 1:18 pm #4545651

Marcel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi Yavor,

the next repley is marked as private.

I would need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site
– preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible –
in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed

Your next answer will be private which means only you and I have access to it.

❌ Please backup your database and website ❌

✙ I would additionally need your permission to de-activate and re-activate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site. This is also a reason the backup is really important.

✙ Please add the Links to the URL where you see the these Strings.

Thank you

Best Marcel

September 12, 2019 at 9:32 am #4559803

Marcel
Supporter

Hi Yavor,

I checked now your site, settings and everything looks normal.

That the translation steps reduced the size of wp_icl_string_pages is expected, as this is a cache table. The button "Recreate ST Cache" truncate the DB.

Here are all finished and open FR translation jobs: hidden link.

I am currently running the restore of the DB from 3rd September to check if the amount of pages and translation jobs are identical.

Do you remember and page/text string what would help to search the database?
Could it be possible that a user removed Pages manually them?
Can you please confirm if the translation jobs are identical with content in Pages?

Until here I can't see a bug causing this.

Best Marcel

September 12, 2019 at 10:16 am #4560063

Yavor Plamenov

Thank you! I can't exclude a human error beyond my clients assurance they did not do any. But also - if they did delete the translations, they would have been in the trash and would not have disappeared completely. Here are a few things which can help investigate further.

• The editor / translator's name is Batya and her ID is 31. That should help track the translation jobs
  • The below are the English and French version of a string from this (translated and missing) page: hidden link;

Some of the world’s largest and most complex energy providers depend on us to safeguard their control centers and substations — including two of the top four U.S. energy utilities.
We can safeguard yours.

Plusieurs des principaux, et complexes, fournisseurs d'énergie mondiaux s’en remettent à nous pour protéger leurs centres et postes de contrôle. Parmi eux figurent deux des quatre principaux fournisseurs d'énergie américains. Nous pouvons protéger les vôtres.

September 13, 2019 at 1:38 pm #4568967

Marcel
Supporter

Hi Yavor,

I was not able to import the database from 3rd September. Could you please try to import it? It's getting stuck on the spinning wheel.

I checked now the actual DB and no results were found for text "Plusieurs des principaux, et complexes".

Best Marcel

The topic ‘[Closed] Missing translation jobs and translations’ is closed to new replies.