This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: when trying to migrate a site to 20i.com using their migration tool, WPML lose its configuration. So when you rerun the configuration, all the translated content is seen as being in the default language.

Solution: using another tool to migrate the site, for example, the free plugin Duplicator

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Ian Sampson 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Laura.

Author Posts
October 5, 2018 at 11:47 am #2790586

Ian Sampson

Following a site migration, it would appear that all translations for our pages have been "lost" in the migration process.

I have reselcted the languages but the pages that have been translated previously do not show as being published or available.

I'm sure I am missing something fundamental but would appreciate your assistance, it is a site for Cancer Patients and Carers and the translated langue is Welsh so I need to resolve the issue as soon as I can.

Many thanks,
Ian

October 5, 2018 at 1:14 pm #2790868

Ian Sampson

I have done the migration again and is asked me to re-install / configure WPML. AT that stage it showed the correct number of Welsh and English Pages but said that they we inactive. As soon as I went through the reinstall process by choosing the language again, the number of welsh pages was shown as zero (0)

October 8, 2018 at 12:25 pm #2795964

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

how did you migrate the site?

I would also need your WPML debug information. You can find it in:
WPML -> Support -> click on debug information link
Then you can copy/paste the text you see in the Debug box I'll enable for the next answer.
More information here: http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

October 8, 2018 at 12:40 pm #2796003

Ian Sampson

I used a migration tool provided by 20i.com to migrate to their servers. Due to the length of time for a reply I have swapped the site back to the old location therefore the above debug information above is not relevant but it wouldn't allow me to complete this reply without it.

Would you like me to migrate the site again then provide you with the debug information so you can take a look where it is ?

Or perhaps do you have a preferred migration tool so that I can try the migration again using a different process.

I have managed to transfer a number of WP sites using this method without issue, but I guess there's always going to be one that gets caught.

Many thanks for your reply,
Ian

October 8, 2018 at 3:00 pm #2796525

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hi,

we don't have a preferred migration tool. I used several times All-in-one WP Migration and it works well, but maybe the issue isn't related to the tool.

I see you have 124 posts: these are all your English posts or the total number of both English and Welsh?

If it's the latter, I think this is what happened: during migration, your content somehow "lost" the language associated with it. So when you configured WPML again, you said the language of your content was English, and ALL your post, even the Welsh ones, are now associated with English.

Instead, if it's the first option, you can try this:
- backup your site and database
- go to WPML -> Support -> "troubleshooting" link
- click on "Set language information"

Before the migration, WPML was active or not?
You could also try to export only Welsh posts and import them on the new site. It's not the ideal solution, I understand, but if there is some kind of bug or incompatibility with the migration tool it could be the fastest way if the above solution doesn't work.

October 8, 2018 at 3:07 pm #2796550

Ian Sampson

Hi Laura,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

The total is 124, made up of English (66) and Welsh (58)

Is that suggestion to set the language information before the migration or after the migration ? If is is after the migration I am assuming that should be completed before it thinks WPML needs re-installing ?

How would I export Welsh only pages ?

Yes, WPML was active before the migration and functioning just brilliantly. It has been a real bonus to have the functionality especially now the Welsh Language Act is enforced by the authorities quite enthusiastically !

October 9, 2018 at 8:31 am #2798930

Laura
Supporter

Hi Ian,

happy to hear you are satisfied with WPML. I have a linguistic background and I'm always glad to see our product used to reinforce the so-called "minority languages". Now back to our issue 🙂

In theory, the language should be already set in your first site, because otherwise, you wouldn't be able to see Welsh content. You can try running the option before the migration, but I think it wouldn't change a thing. And before you configure WPML you can't run troubleshooting option, so we're back to square one.

You can export post in only one language with WP All Export (a guide here: https://wpml.org/2016/08/export-multilingual-websites-using-wp-all-export-and-wpml/)
But in this way, you'd have Welsh content under the English language, and you should delete it anyway. If that's the case, you could just change the language for Welsh content that now is registered as English.

In short, my suggestions:
1. try another system to migrate the site
2. change the language of actual Welsh content registered as English. The quickest way to do it is:
- go to WPML -> Translation Management
- select your Welsh content
- in the box "Select translation options" click on "Duplicate content" near the Welsh flag
- click Duplicate button
- now you should have your Welsh content back and you can delete the "Welsh-English" one

If you also have translated String in String Translation (for the theme, etc) you can export them from your old site in WPML -> String Translation -> Import/export .po and then reimport them back

3. If you prefer, you can give us access to your server (old and new) so we can try to better figure the issue, but I can't tell you if and when we can find a solution.

Let me know what you think about it.

October 9, 2018 at 9:33 am #2799131

Ian Sampson

Hi Laura,

What I'll do is try the migration again. If I have the same issue I'll give you access to the new location so that you can have a look and see if you can figure out what is going on.

Many thanks,
Ian

October 9, 2018 at 3:25 pm #2800826

Laura
Supporter

Hi Ian,

sure. I hope everything gets resolved.

October 9, 2018 at 5:28 pm #2801423

Ian Sampson

Hi Laura,

I have now migrated the site again and all is being displayed correctly in English although there is no language switcher which is missing from the main menu.

hidden link

This is the stage I got to before.

Attached are 2 screenshots

How can I get a username and password to you securely so that you can take a look for me ?

Thanks again,
Ian

October 9, 2018 at 6:50 pm #2801584

Ian Sampson

Hi Laura,

Attached are grabs of the "existing" installation that works just fine - see language changer to menu and also grabs of WPML section.

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks,
Ian

October 10, 2018 at 9:06 am #2803576

Laura
Supporter

Hi Ian,

I'll make the next reply private. Please notice that we do not perform operations on live sites because we don't have control on the server if something goes wrong.

October 10, 2018 at 2:01 pm #2804640

Laura
Supporter

Hi Ian,

I looked at your site. The reason you don't see the button for changing the language in the backend is that WPML is not configured correctly. You can see links for English and Welsh but if you click on them they don't take you anywhere.

It was like this even during your previous migration attempt?

Let's try this we can rule out other issue and focus on the migration tool. Try doing a copy of your site with Duplicator (it'a free plugin) and I'll try to install it on my local server. If it works, most probably the issue is with the server tool.
Of course, I'll need a copy of the old site, where everything was okay.
You can read more about Duplicator here: https://wpml.org/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

If you're okay with this, I'll enable a private reply.

October 10, 2018 at 2:19 pm #2804736

Ian Sampson

Hi Laura,

I'll have a look at that plugin and see if I can install it without it having any bad implications for what is a fully working site.

I'll get back to you.

Thanks again,
Ian

October 11, 2018 at 9:46 am #2807395

Ian Sampson

Good morning Laura,

I installed and used Duplicator to migrate the site and after a small change to the htaccess file everything seems to have been ported over successfully !

I will notify the hosts to let them know that their migration system is not compatible with WPML so that they can take a look at their systems.

Very many thanks for all your help it has been very much appreciated and reassuring.

With many thanks once again,
Ian