Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 1 year, 11 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
June 16, 2019 at 8:55 pm #4031199

mihailC-3

I am trying to: do some minor edits in a text field on a post. (I'm using wpbakery page builder)
When i save the page. The whole translation of this page disappears (all the fields are empty, not only the one in which I make the changes)
On this page https://wpml.org/errata/translated-value-missing-in-translation-editor-when-re-editing-page-with-changes-to-some-shortcodes/ it is said the issue is solved in the version 3.7.0 but it looks like it's back again or is not solved.

Is the solution described on that page (copying the translated content somewhere before making the changes to the original) the only one or there are some other possibilities?

June 17, 2019 at 10:47 am #4034599

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

I'm not aware that we have a regression of this issue. However, can you check this answer and the reply below it?
https://wpml.org/errata/translated-value-missing-in-translation-editor-when-re-editing-page-with-changes-to-some-shortcodes/#comment-1616885

Can you tell me if you see if this is the same case is in yours?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

June 18, 2019 at 3:35 pm #4044887

mihailC-3

Hi Bruno!
Thank you for your answer.
It is not the same case.
I had the translation 100% in German. The translation is still on the front end. But after I made a change in one of the fields all the fields result as empty in the Advanced Translation Editor.
the post i am talking about is a custom post type in Staff: hidden link
You can see on the screenshot the only line added

Screenshot_1.png
June 19, 2019 at 6:28 am #4048359

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Could I possibly test this by adding a line into this post and checking if the translation has been deleted from advanced translation editor?

There is one thing that puzzles me:

The translation is still on the front end.

Does it mean that even if advanced translation editor is empty, the German translation would still show up? In that case it must be pulled from somewhere, perhaps from string translation. Can you check if strings for this page - especially translations - are registered in WPML -> Strings Translation? They should not be though, because advanced translation editor uses its own translation memory and is not possible to reach those strings through WPML string translation interface.

As for the site access, I have marked your next reply private so you can safely add this information.

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Please make a full backup of your site before sharing this info!

You can use plugins such as UpdraftPlus WordPress Backup Plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/updraftplus/) or ask your host to perform a site backup.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

June 19, 2019 at 12:11 pm #4051319

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Can you tell me if this is how I can reproduce the issue:

- open hidden link
- translate using content from hidden link
- open original staff member page
- add some content inside
- ATE will become empty again

Is this the scenario which you are reporting?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

2019-06-19-13-59-e.ate.wpml.org.png
June 19, 2019 at 1:13 pm #4051773

mihailC-3

We saved the change only in original language. didn't save anything in the advanced translation editor. As far as I managed to read in other support tickets - until we save in the Editor - it remains in the front end unchanged

P.S: I gave you misleading information. for custom post type Staff we do not use WpBackery, but Toolset

P.S.S.: The scenario you wrote above is correct

June 19, 2019 at 2:56 pm #4052515

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I tried exactly these steps:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/missing-translation-when-i-update-the-original/#post-4051319

And it seems to be working? The only thing that comes to my mind is that "Use WPML's Translation Editor" was deactivated. Can you check and tell if it works properly now?

The content within the ATE has not deleted even upon editing the page original.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

ate-working.jpg
2019-06-19-16-43-mieinuovidenti.com.jpg
June 20, 2019 at 2:34 pm #4060685

mihailC-3

Thank you Bruno!
It works properly now.
Hope it doesn't happen to other content. Anyway I will pay attention to have everywhere "Use WPML's Translation Editor" activated.

June 21, 2019 at 7:12 am #4065045

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I'm glad to hear that it works now! Therefore, I am marking this as resolved, let me know if you have any other questions (you can reopen the thread within the next 12 hours).

Regards,
Bruno Kos