Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.6 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Author Posts
May 8, 2015 at 9:11 am #614826

Retired Account

To translate strings in my theme I have set the option "Translate using .mo files" and I provide the appropriate .mo file in my theme directory. It gets recognised properly as you can tell from the screenshot I attached. I also checked "Automatically load the theme's .mo file using 'load_theme_textdomain'" using the textdomain I defined in my gettext calls.

However, even though I translated the strings in the .mo file (using PoEdit) they don't show up on the front-end.

Please note that I'm using the _exact_ same setup in a different project, where everything works fine that way. Also note that I read in another thread that one should choose "Translate by WPML" and then check to include strings from existing .mo files, but that is not an option in my specific environment, because I have templates where only PoEdit can extract certain strings.

I'm also using WooCommerce in this setup, may this be the cause of this issue?!

May 8, 2015 at 12:05 pm #615011

Retired Account

Was using the text domain "woocommerce" which apparently caused the conflict. Changed all the strings to a different domain, now everything's working fine.