This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by stefanO-19 2 years, 8 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Ankit.

Author Posts
January 26, 2017 at 6:52 pm #1191811

Eric

I am trying to: Sync my mobile menus. Only the English menu works on mobile devices and won't allow navigation in another language. (my website's theme is ROYAL - 8theme WordPress theme)

URL of (my) website where problem appears: hidden link

I expected to see: The French and Spanish mobile menus once I switch the language.

Instead, I got: a completely blank menu page that won't allow me to navigate the website in any language other than english.

Steps to duplicate the issue:

January 26, 2017 at 11:56 pm #1191934

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello.

I will be helping you with this issue. I can confirm that the indeed, the mobile versions of your menus are devoid of content (see images)

This may be a theme or plugin compatibility issue. I see, for example, that you have a WP Responsive Menu plugin installed that could be incompatible with WPML. Also, these are the wrappers for the menu items in the page source.

1. Diagnostic test
1.1 Please temporarily deactivate all non-WPML plugins and confirm that this problem still happens.

1.2 Please also try temporarily switching your active theme to Twenty Fourteen. Does the same problem happen?

Thanks for letting me know the results on this.

February 6, 2017 at 3:56 pm #1200658

Eric

Hello Yvette,

I tried deactivating all the plugins and when I do that the menu doesn't even show up on mobile. I also tried deactivating only the WP Responsive Menu plugin and this makes the mobile menu disappear as well. I have not tried the theme option because I wanted to ask something first. Will changing my theme delete some of the content on my site? Or will everything be intact once I change back to my current theme?

Thank you

February 7, 2017 at 10:34 am #1201438

Yvette
Supporter

Hello.

You database and theme configuraiton options should not change. As an insurance, however, you can take a full system backupt that you are able to restore.

Technically, the only thing it does is to change the wordpress option that indicates the active theme is different. The database options themselves are not touched.

Woudl it be possible for you to send me a copy of the theme in zip format so I can try to install it locally for testing?

I am opening the private area for this. You should include a downloadable link using a file sharing service like Dropbox or Fileshare since the forum has file size limitation of what can be uploaded.

Thanks.

February 8, 2017 at 3:53 pm #1203207

Yvette
Supporter

Hello.

Thank you for this. I quickly installed and configured the sample menu that was delivered as shown (see image).

My installation only has Woocommerce, WCML, all required WPML modules and this Theme.

The mobile menu works and allows me to change languages.
Now that this has been confirmed, perhaps we can see where your system is differing in configuration setup.

1. Temporary access to your system
Could you please provide access to your system (wp-admin and ftp) so that I can further investigate this particular problem? The fields to provide this data are included in a private section that I will open for your next response. You can find it above the comments area. The information in this private section is only visible between WPML Support and you.

February 14, 2017 at 4:00 pm #1208202

Yvette
Supporter

Yes. You would get the details for the FTP user from your CPanel.

At the moment, I can make do with the access you provided. I downloaded the snapshot of your system from the Duplicator package and installed it on my local server.

At the moment, I cannot get the mobile menu to show at all. So this is strange.
I will keep working on this and update this ticket when I have news.

Thank you.

February 15, 2017 at 3:57 pm #1209270

Yvette
Supporter

Hello.

I have been instructed to escalate your problem to our 2nd tier supporters in order to get you a faster resolution. I am preparing this now.

They have all the history of your problem, the steps already executed, the copy of your system as well as the copy of your theme.

Thank you for your ongoing patience.

February 15, 2017 at 4:16 pm #1209299

Yvette
Supporter

This ticket has now been escalated to our 2nd tier support team.

February 16, 2017 at 10:11 am #1209866

Ankit

Hi,

This is Ankit from second tier support team. I will assist you with the issue further, hope this is fine with you. 🙂

1. As Yvette mentioned earlier, this is compatibility issue between wpml and wp responsive menus plugin. You can invite plugin author to our go global program, they can apply for the same at: https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/go-global-program/, our compatibility team works closely with theme/plugins authors to ensure that their theme/plugins are compatible with wpml.

2. Please add this file (hidden link) to wp responsive menu plugin folder at the root, so that its path would be /plugins/wp-content/wp-responsive-menu/wpml-config.xml

This is language configuration file which is used to translate theme/plugin options. For more information on same, please refer: https://wpml.org/documentation/support/language-configuration-files/

3. Once the file added, go to wpml > Languages, then go to wpml > string translations. Translate the IDs of menu as shown in screenshot. Note that for French it is 28 and for Spanish it is 31. Check Translation is complete box and save.

Check if the issue is resolved now.

Note: Please note that with every plugin update (wp responsive menu), you will lose xml file which you need to add.

Regards,
Ankit

August 17, 2019 at 2:58 pm #4410211

stefanO-19

I am having the same issue - how to generate that hidden file? 🙂