If you are having a notice about writing the .mo files please read this doc

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by michael-mobjergM 6 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
May 20, 2019 at 9:12 pm

michael-mobjergM

I am trying to: translate the text, while keeping the same pictures and content, in other languages

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: The same pictures as in the English version. Also the same contact form and the same map. Also the description text of the English version is not available for translation

Instead, I got: Nothing.... (except the possibility of translating title and picture names)

May 21, 2019 at 2:13 am #3850973

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Thank you for contacting us. I have noticed that you are using ACF to create these fields, but it looks like your theme is using ACF as a lib and not as a plugin.

To translate content with ACF, you need to use ACFML. You can see step by step in our documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/

Installing ACFML and following the steps in our documentation, does the problem persist?

Thank you.

May 21, 2019 at 5:52 am #3852023

michael-mobjergM

Dear Bruno,

I have no idea what ACF or ACFML is. Please explain.

How do I translate the way my theme intented it?

I just want to get it to work correctly. I have not deliberately chosen a certain way of doing it - I have just tried to make it work (unsuccessfully).

Thank you in advance for your help.

May 21, 2019 at 9:47 am #3853789

michael-mobjergM

I have now gone through the ACFML documentation, installed the plugin and tried setting it up. I cannot see that it has anything at all to do with the BASE HOTEL theme and it's content...

In the BASE HOTEL theme documentation it indicates:
"Go to 'Pages' and click the plus icon next to the page you want to translate. When editing the page, click 'Overwrite with English content' (if English is the default language for example). All content will be copied from the default page, and you can edit it for the language you have selected."

But there is no 'Overwrite with English content' button in my WPML installation. And there is also no content from the page builder displayed... Finally the translated pages just display without the hero slider and without the content build in the page builder. See this link with only a title and one line of text as example: hidden link

May 22, 2019 at 1:32 am #3859529

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Thanks for testing this. Unfortunately, it seems that your theme is not fully compatible with WPML.

One way you can translate this content is by using the native WordPress interface. To do this you can switch to the secondary language using the language selector. I'll attach an image for you to see.

Switching to the secondary language you can fill in the same fields that you fill in the default language. By following these steps and just updating the page I can see that the content was displayed in the secondary language: hidden link

By following these steps, can you translate the content you want? Do you think translating that way will work for you?

Thank you.

May 22, 2019 at 8:42 am #3863151

michael-mobjergM

We bought the BASE HOTEL theme because it was compatible with WPML... The theme documentation indicates clearly: "This theme supports the WPML plugin for translations."

But I guess I could live with the alternative method you decribe - if only it worked...

Apparently I have to click all the "Translation is done" under the "+" first. And then enter the way you describe (with the language shifter). Then I see the content on the German page. BUT: There is still nothing on the site, e.g. on this link:
hidden link

I have tried creating several pages in both Danish and German. It looks like the content is being copied over, but it does not appear on the site...
ALSO: When I try to edit the page in Danish or German it won't save/update. It freezes...

Please let me know how you managed to get it shown - and how I can make it work.
Thank you in advance.

May 23, 2019 at 5:16 pm #3878233

michael-mobjergM

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!