Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by flemmingE-2 9 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Alejandro.

Author Posts
October 27, 2021 at 5:14 pm #9876561

flemmingE-2

Hello,

We have recreated our entire site in WordPress on a test domain and brought it over to our live domain, changing from xili to WPML in the process, and have a question about translating images.

For pretty much all of the site's previous content (thousands of pages/posts in around 20 languages), we used the classic translation editor, which made it far easier to actually copy the pages and posts from one site to the other.

Now we have message at the top of the WordPress from WPML: "WPML needs to set languages to existing media in your site." There is a button next to this message which says "Set media languages." When I click this button I am brought to the bottom of WPML's settings page, where the Media Translations settings are located.

I need to know exactly what I need to do to translate this existing media without risking causing any issues with all of the translated content on the site currently. There are 10s of thousands of images, so if this is done incorrectly it can cause significant issues. I've looked at the documentation, but to be honest, it isn't very clear on what these changes will do to media that was added using the classic editor vs media added using the advanced editor and other such specifics.

I've attached an image of the options I'm looking at.

Thank you for your assistance.

WPML Media Translation Settings.PNG
October 30, 2021 at 5:33 am #9894395

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello there!

What these settings will do is just decide what to do when images are uploaded and what to do with images that already exist and were previously uploaded.

It's not really going to do much but allow you to pre-select the checkboxes that you can see about duplicating images over to the translated versions (you can see these 2 checkboxes on the bottom of the "languages" section, in the page edit screen).

At the same time it will also duplicate the image to make them available in the translated languages (database only).

Chances are you don't really need to do anything if all your translated pages are actually correct and working.

November 4, 2021 at 9:34 pm #9929399

flemmingE-2

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!