This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by melissaZ 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
September 16, 2019 at 10:38 am #4578995

melissaZ

I am trying to:
Move website to target host. Unable to successfully upload the database

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
Within the database

I expected to see:
The file size to be the same

Instead, I got:
The file size more than doubled but the row count stayed the same. We are not able to move the database.

September 16, 2019 at 6:32 pm #4583207

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hmmm

I would not know why this particular table would do this. The String Packages usually has to do with pagebuilder translations and also jobs sent to external translation services.

Are you using a particular plugin to do the migration?

What if you migrate your database without this table. And then import the table as a separate step?

Here, we use the DUPLICATOR plugin regularly to migrate client sites for support with much success and minimal issues. I could recommend trying this to migrate your site.

September 17, 2019 at 9:34 am #4587123

melissaZ

Hey Yvette!

It's Missy from BCN. Honestly I have never seen anything like what is going on with this database. The increase in file size that occurs when exporting the database is happening to the icl_string, icl_translation and postmeta tables. I have never used Elementor and WPML together so I do not know how well the interact. I am sure usually fine.

What is strange is that the Bluehost tech I was working with mentioned he had the same problem earlier that day. He said the client had to remove WPML in order to migrate his site.

We have tried every imaginable way to move this site including SSH, importing the tables individually, using migration tools from SiteGround and GoDaddy.

I optimized the database and it increased in size by 120MB.

This is killing me. I do not know where to turn.

Thanks!

September 17, 2019 at 2:25 pm #4589145

Yvette
Supporter

Hey Missy! What a nice surprise - I figured we might bump into each other at some point = ) I´m in Chicago this week so our time zones might be out of synch a bit.

1. ELEMENTOR + WPML
You wrote. "..I have never used Elementor and WPML together so I do not know how well the interact. I am sure usually fine..."

There are definitely some issues between the two but nothing I could think would cause a table to increase in size on export.

2. Migration tools
You wrote: "..The increase in file size that occurs when exporting the database is happening to the icl_string, icl_translation and postmeta tables.... He said the client had to remove WPML in order to migrate his site..."

Do you mean that the tech guy removed the plugin files but left the data tables?
What about Duplicator? Did you try that tool?

3. Size v. Number of Rows
I found this article on Stack Exchange that has an interesting take on differing sizes on databases pre/post export/import. The bottom line - it may not be anything to worry about.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/21087865/database-size-different-after-export-import

That being said, does the site "work" as expected after it is migrated?

I wait for your feedback

September 17, 2019 at 4:49 pm #4590317

melissaZ

I hope you are having fun Chicago.

Thank you so much for all of your input!

As for point 2, the guy I was referring to was the Bluehost tech I was speaking with. He just mentioned that he saw a similar issue earlier that day and the client had to remove the language switcher in order to get the database uploaded. It was a comment more in passing and I did not ask about removing the tables because this is not an option I am willing to do just yet. 🙂

After optimizing the dev site database 2 days ago, the database increased from 350 MB to 520MB. This was too big for the Duplicator plugin to upload. It just timed out.

Thank you for the link to Stack Overflow. The problem with the size difference on our exported tables is that they are increasing 2 to 4 times their original size. Which is significantly more than they should.

We have not been able to migrate the site successfully.

I was checking our PHP error log and found this:

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function get_element_id() on null in /home/xarol536/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpml-translation-management/classes/emails/notification/summary/class-wpml-tm-jobs-summary-report.php:81
Stack trace:
#0 /home/xarol536/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpml-translation-management/classes/emails/notification/summary/class-wpml-tm-jobs-summary-report.php(47): WPML_TM_Jobs_Summary_Report->build_completed_jobs()
#1 /home/xarol536/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpml-translation-management/classes/emails/notification/summary/class-wpml-tm-jobs-summary-report-process-factory.php(66): WPML_TM_Jobs_Summary_Report->__construct(Object(WPML_Translation_Jobs_Collection), Object(WPML_TM_String), Object(WPML_TM_Post), 'weekly', Object(WPML_Translation_Element_Factory))
#2 /home/xarol536/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpml-translation-management/classes/emails/notification/summary/class-wpml-tm-jobs-summary-report-process-factory.php(19): WPML_TM_Jobs_Summary_Report_Process_Factory->get_summary_ in /home/xarol536/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpml-translation-management/classes/emails/notification/summary/class-wpml-tm-jobs-summary-report.php on line 81

Is this something that needs to be addressed?

Thank you again for all of your help!

September 17, 2019 at 4:55 pm #4590331

Yvette
Supporter

The error looks like it is trying to get the id of a translation job that is no longer there. Is it repeating a lot in the log? and is it recent?

So, do I understand right that when you attempt to export the database, even using the Cpanel SQL export tools (e.g. no WordPress involved at all...just the raw tables and SQL) the database still increases in size?

Just trying to understand the steps you´ve taken.

September 17, 2019 at 6:33 pm #4590705

melissaZ

The error appears only twice in the log. Most recently September.

Yes, when attempting to export the database manually causes the same result. The icl_string, icl-translation and postmeta tables increase in size. We've tried uploading tables individually, the SSH, SiteGround migration tool, GoDaddy migration tool...

September 17, 2019 at 9:28 pm #4591115

Yvette
Supporter

Thanks for that

If the number of rows are the same in the source and target tables of the database, it looks like it could be due to indexing and fragmentation. I´ve included some more links below that might be hepful for you.

hidden link
hidden link

You wrote: "..We have not been able to migrate the site successfully..."
But you WERE able to import the database, right? If you could import the database and migrate the files, then what part of the migration was not working?

Have you followed this WordPress tutorial such as this one on how to migrate a site manually using database import/export and filesystem migration?
hidden link

September 19, 2019 at 8:22 am #4602525

melissaZ

This is all great information! You are awesome!!

Yes, the migration was never completely successful. If we could get the database imported, there were issues with the target website such as being unable to access the dashboard when logged in, ridiculously slow page load times, translated pages redirecting back to the original site and getting 404 errors on some of the pages. Plus the database bloat, which was cause for alarm.

Though the issue is not resolved, I am going to close the ticket while we continue to troubleshoot.

Thank you so much Yvette for all of your help!
Missy

September 19, 2019 at 8:26 am #4602531

melissaZ

We are getting there. Thank you!