This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
May 31, 2019 at 5:20 pm #3932407

ifigeneiaT

I have done a lot of translations on a staging site and want to move the translations to productions without also changing the inventory or anything else on the production site.
Is there a proper way of doing that ?

May 31, 2019 at 7:31 pm #3932771

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

the translation work is saved within the database therefore if you migrate your site from staging to live as long as the database is migrated as well then no extra steps are needed

a tool we often use is Duplicator plugin or even All In One WP migration

https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/
https://wordpress.org/plugins/all-in-one-wp-migration/

you could also look into WPML and WP All Export

=> https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/export-multilingual-websites-using-wp-all-export-wpml/

June 3, 2019 at 4:59 am #3939381

ifigeneiaT

Yes I know both plugins, but I want to move the translations of only one language of only the woocommerce products and not a full duplicate of the site as duplicator is doing.

June 3, 2019 at 5:36 pm #3945001

Bobby
Supporter

The translations of pages,posts,products,etc is saved within the database and connected with the original product for example through the means of an id.

that is why when using WP ALL EXPORT/IMPORT there are 2 CSV files used with a connector id , this way when imported the translation can be assigned to its default language within the database.

Unfortunately i would have to say that to export the translations from the first site, and import them to the second site , I don't think it is possible.

Because WPML can't tell how to link the exported translations to the original content on the second site. This is not a standard WPML feature.

NOTE : WP ALL EXPORT/ ALL IMPORT might be the best tool to use here as it allows you to export translations of your choice and import them but it will require both languages and not one.

June 7, 2019 at 8:58 am #3974967

ifigeneiaT

So to make everything clear.
There is NO way to do what I am asking, other than OVERWRITING my existing products right ?
I find this kind of disappointing.

June 7, 2019 at 7:26 pm #3978821

Bobby
Supporter

The only other way would be to manually connect the Woocommerce products to their translations.

the best way and possibly only way to do this without custom work and database work would be to use WP ALL EXPORT/IMPORT for which we have created wpml add-ons to make the process easier

Being that this is not a standard feature you can try performing this migration in a custom way by possibly manually connecting the new imported translations to your existing posts within the database or with using some sort of SQL query.

The translation of WooCommerce products is kept in the same table as the WooCommerce products.
The products are like custom post type and they are located in the posts and of course the postmeta table.
WPML uses a third table that binds the original and translations - icl_translations table
You need also to consider migrating other tables as well if you want more than the content and this is a very complex process.

If you do decide to take this route and need some help with the custom work , as we dont currently support any custom work within the forum we do recommend our 3rd party WPML Contractors
=> https://wpml.org/contractors/

The topic ‘[Closed] Moving my translations from dev site to production’ is closed to new replies.