Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Raja Mohammed 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Raja Mohammed.

Author Posts
October 18, 2019 at 3:37 pm #4784055

stefanS-102

Spent multiple days configuring WPML, still has a lot of bugs. 90% of the time is spent on fixing bugs 10% of the time translating. Most servere problem is page loading increases by 5-10 times.

Below are some of the bugs:

* Site is incredibly slow with wpml enabled, probably due to poor string handling. Tried:
* Cleaning strings that's not translated. Does not help.
* Turned off "Track where strings appear on the site", does not help.
* Increased memory, does not help

* Custom products widget for WooCommerce does not show translated products, works with maximum 1 product for some reason, have to create duplicate widgets for everything
* Related products does not show in all languages
* Feaured images does not show even if i select the global duplicate option in the media settings, have to manually go in to every page and duplicate, time consuming
* There is no possibility to export everything in one file for transalation. I can export it as multiple files which will lead to 50+ files with some of them containing just one sentence. Cant send these to a translator. Will be multiple times more expensive and really embarrassing.
* Cant turn off string translation for admin = performace issues.
* Cant remove filenames from translation documents

Cant use Wpml as it is now, ruins all the work we´ve done with performance. Went from page loading speed at 0.4 sec to pending between 4-8 sec. With WPML queries topping all slow queries.

October 21, 2019 at 11:43 am #4794131

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello there,

I will try to help you with your issue.

I would like to address the performance issue in this ticket, I will try to address other issues in a new ticket or you can create a new ticket for other issues so that another supporter might help you simultaneously.

Regarding the performance issues, we have just released a new version of WPML version 4.3.0 addressing most of the performance issues resulting from String translation. Please update to the latest version Secure a backup of your site before you proceed . If you don't see the Plugin update notice in plugins list or from Plugins > Add new > Commercial follow the below steps for the manual update of the plugins

* Steps to manual update
-- Backup your site and database
-- Deactivate and remove the WPML plugin from WP dashboard plugins section, This won't delete any data
-- Download a fresh copy of WPML plugin from you WPML account dashboard https://wpml.org/account/downloads/
-- Upload a fresh copy of the newer version of WPML multilingual CMS plugin to your site
-- Activate the plugin and register if required
-- Update the rest of the WPML plugin from plugins > Add New > Commercial Tab

Once all the WPML plugins are updated, observer the performance changes.

Let me know if that helps.

Kind regards
Raja

October 21, 2019 at 1:30 pm #4794877

stefanS-102

Hi!

I tested your new version in the weekend when it was a beta, it crashed with error:

Uncaught LogicException: A function must be an instance of \Twig_FunctionInterface or \Twig_SimpleFunction wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/lib/twig/src/Environment.php:1119

currency-switcher/class-wcml-currency-switcher.php(143):

Your new version does not work with your currency switcher plugin. Tried the new version now, hoping you would have solved this before making it a live version, multiple people have already reported this error when it was beta. Crashed the site, same error, had to roll back. Im so tired of fixing WPML-errors. Bought it to get started with translations, spent most of the time fixing errors.

October 21, 2019 at 1:42 pm #4794971

stefanS-102

Did some testing.
Error is possible to fix by deactivating the currency option in WPML Woocommerce and then enabling it again.

October 21, 2019 at 2:12 pm #4795215

stefanS-102

I can also confirm that the new version fixes bug with related products for the second language for Woocommerce.

October 22, 2019 at 4:43 am #4798837

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Thanks for the followup. The error has been reported to our developer with your possible solution to fix it. Could you please let me know if you see any performance improvement with the latest version.

October 22, 2019 at 2:15 pm #4803209

stefanS-102

Hi!

I spent alot of time deleting 30 000 strings manually in the old version so i cant compare to the original string size. But performance seems okay with the new version.

Noticed new bugs though:
* Currency switcher wont work with SG Optimizer dynamic cache. It doesnt refresh the currency when changing. Found a earlier thread about this and that it was fixed in an earlier wpml version. But this error i back with the latest SG optimizer and lates WPML verison.

* Deleting a product translation (corrupt) and then creating a new translation doesnt work. It will show as untranslated in the product view (plus sign) but as translated under "WPML/Translations". Wont work to redeliver the translation. Workaround is to duplicate the product and redo the translation.

October 23, 2019 at 6:12 am #4807571

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Thanks for the information.

To make things easy for you in the latest version of WPML 4.3.0 you can now clean up the unused icl_string table from WPML > Support > Troubleshooting click on "Cleanup and optimize string tables".

- Regarding the Currency switcher issue with SG cache, it seems like a regression with the latest version, Could you please share temporary access to your site let me check this issue and escalate if required. I have enabled private fields to securely share the details.

- This can happen when the product is not completely removed from the site. Remove the items from the trash check if the issue still persists. If you can share me a product with issue I can check the same from the backend once I have access to the site.

Regards
Raja

October 24, 2019 at 6:20 am #4816283

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Thanks, I can reproduce the issue.

Can you please add the code to the theme functions.php file in your staging site. Let me confirm if this is a regression and escalate to the second tier of supporters.

add_filter( 'wcml_is_cache_enabled_for_switching_currency', '__return_true' );

Kind regards
Raja

October 24, 2019 at 4:14 pm #4822165

stefanS-102

Hi Raja, thank you for your reply.

Yes, that does fix the currency switcher. Is there any similar solution for fixing cache for the cart between languages?

October 25, 2019 at 9:51 am #4825695

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

This seems to be a regression, I can see a similar case already resolved some time back. I have requested assistance from the second tier for any possible solution. I will keep you posted once I have an update.

Kind regards
Raja

October 28, 2019 at 10:35 am #4838123

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

The issue is now escalated to second-tier fo supporters for a detailed investigation. This might take some time I will let you know once I have an update.

Kind regards
Raja

October 28, 2019 at 8:37 pm #4842921

stefanS-102

Hi, thank you for your reply.

There is still alot of bugs with WPML.
* Random posts are duplicating into a second language without connection to the original. Original still exists with the correct translation.
* Images are duplicating with broken links
* Products are duplicating the same way as posts.
* Asked how to remove images from translation jobs, these are messing up the media library.
* Featured images are not automatically set to the new page/products when checking "duplicate featured image"
* Super Hero slider is not translatable. Shows up as translatable in admin, but translations does not work on front page.

October 29, 2019 at 12:14 pm #4847289

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hello Stefan,

Since the issue related to this ticket (Memcache and dynamic) is escalated to the second tier of supporters, I would request creating a new ticket for other issues. This helps us to bring you a better service and also helps other users to find all the information here exposed.

Our supporters will continue to help resolving your issue.

The status of this ticket is marked as escalated to second-tier

Thanks for your understanding

Kind regards
Raja

November 12, 2019 at 3:14 pm #4932723

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hello there,

Our second-tier support has identified the issue, However, the test site that you have provided is not working anymore, would you mind creating a new staging site and share the details with us that would be of great help to speed up the process. I have enabled private fields to securely share the details.

Regarding the cart synchronization issue, many caching plugins choke with cart fragments in most of the cases disabling the cart fragments usually helps: https://wordpress.org/plugins/disable-cart-fragments/

Kind regards
Raja