This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 8 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
February 12, 2019 at 5:32 pm #3190038

malteP-2

Hi,

I am using your new Advanced Translation Editor and have multiple problems:

Every sentence MUST be translated. Why is it not possible not to translate a sentence and leave it empty? Sometimes you don't need certain sentences in another language because they may be irrelevant there.

Wordpress Shortcodes are replaced with <wpcodeself> in the ATE. But sometimes its important for me to translate the parameters of the shortcodes. For example: [output_price notice="Es fallen weitere Kosten an"]. In this case I need to translate the notice parameter but it's not possible. Why can't the shortcode just be treated like normal text?

You HAVE TO add the shortcodes in the translation. But sometimes you don't need the shortcodes in the translation. Please make it optional.

Sometimes a sentence is split into two parts and the shortcode is completely missing. Is that normal behavior? This is not good, because often you have to change the sentence structure for the translation. And you have to know that there is a shortcode between the two parts. I think this only happens when a link is set around a shortcode.

Thank you!

Best regards
Malte

February 13, 2019 at 11:51 am #3193689

roel.k
Supporter

Hello Malte,

Thank you for taking time on providing feedback to us. I am addressing each of your concerns below.

1. We will consider it but would require a lot of time and effort on our end in maintaining the structure of the page without the page being broken, if some sentences are left blank.

2. We will definitely solve this, in the near future.

3. We can not easily make shortcodes optional, because if we do that we cannot guarantee valid output html. The only way to make our output safe is keeping original structure.

4. We always try to segment content to display less markers possible, and shortcodes are implemented like markers. Shortcodes are handled in a generic manner for now.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and your suggestions 2 & 4 would make a great addition to our product, so they are escalated to development team for planning and will be available in a future version of our product.

Regards
Roel

February 13, 2019 at 4:07 pm #3195249

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

I can see that Roel already responded you and that this is suggestion ticket not related to any particular issue.

I encourage you to suggest any feature you think WPML users may benefit from whenever you have new ideas for improvements:
https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/

Therefore, I am closing this ticket!

Regards,
Bruno Kos