Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 24 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Otto 5 years, 9 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Otto.

Author Posts
November 10, 2015 at 2:51 pm #743551

adriO

I'm developing a site in (for now) two languages. English and Dutch.
I want to show the English bbPress forum on a Dutch page. SO the navigation and other items has to be in Dutch however the English forum has to be shown. What I get is a forum in English with Dutch topics and that is NOT what I want.

I have read a lot of threads about this an similar issues but none of them gave me a solution.
I'm having this issue for a long time now and a really want a solution asap. In the screenshot you see the Dutch topics instead of the English ones.

What's making me wonder is that on old threads you are stating that you are working hard to make bbPress compatible with WPML but it is still not shown in your list of compatible plugins.
IMHO: it is really time to put some effort in it and don't try to get your customers mouth shut with promises you did not kept.

You are charging your customers with $ 195,- for a lifetime license. that is fair when it is working flawlessly. But I'm right now questioning myself if it was worth this amount of money.

Schermafbeelding 2015-11-10 om 15.49.18.png
November 11, 2015 at 2:46 pm #744426

Otto
Supporter

Timezone: America/Argentina/Buenos_Aires (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

I do understand your point. I´ve seen the other bbPress ticket you opened, so I know that you are struggling with bbPress-WPML for a long time .

Sadly, bbPress is still not fully compatible with WPML.

When exactly our developers will add a new feature or not is not up-to us to determine. Each issue reported in, whether a bug or a new feature request, is taken seriously into consideration. It is given a high or low priority based on a number of factors. Factors which those with the overview of all things related are in the best position to determine.

Kind Regards

November 12, 2015 at 11:55 am #745092

adriO

Hi Otto,

Thank you for your reply.

But is this the ultimate outcome? What is the next step?
I simply don't understand that WPML don't give it a high priority to be compatible with a plugin like bbPress.
They claim to have over 1.7 million installs. So, in my opinion it is important enough to solve the issues at hand. When you search the forums there are multiple of similar issues. It seems to me that (seeing replies to other posts, including my own) there is no WILL at WPML to do anything about it. I'm truly disappointed.
So, if you want to keep your customers satisfied, speed up the process and upgrade it to a high priority issue.

Regards,

Adri

November 12, 2015 at 2:30 pm #745230

Otto
Supporter

Hi Adri,

I´m truly sorry for this.

I passed your comments to the Compatibility team. They define the priority of all the requests according to many factors.

Sadly, I can´t do any more than that regarding this issue.

Kind regards

November 27, 2015 at 7:43 am #756241

adriO

After a reminder from the bot...
Sadly it is still unresolved and waiting for a solution.

November 27, 2015 at 4:15 pm #756790

Otto
Supporter

Hello,

Yes... I know. I´m truly sorry for this.

The ticket is escatlated to the Themes & Plugins Compatibility Team. You will be notified the moment we have news regarding this issue.

Kind Regads,

Otto

November 28, 2015 at 1:07 pm #757140

adriO

Hi Otto,

Thank you for your reply.
Trust me, I do know that it is not your fault anyway. The saddening reason is that a (by WPML self proclaimed) top of the world plugin like WPML is not compatible with the worlds most used forum software bbPress. I understand that there are priorities. It is just strikes me that this one has to take so long and that I don't hear anything about it. Next to that is my experience that, some way or another, almost every problem with the functioning of my site is pointing at WPML (see my other issues). And that is where the annoyance kicks in.....

Adri

February 2, 2016 at 11:33 am #802326

adriO

Hello,
Once again I have to ask for the status of this issue.
See my other thread here; https://wpml.org/forums/topic/bbpress-and-wpml-at-war/

I think, after a year, that it is time to find a solution.

Adri

February 2, 2016 at 7:30 pm #803004

Otto
Supporter

Hello Adri,

I'm really sorry for that.

Can you please describe all the issues that you are having with bbPress and WPML.

Providing steps to reproduce them will be of great help.

Then, I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. It would be better to a testing site where the issue is replicated.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok for you.

** IMPORTANT **

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:

hidden link

Kind Regards,

Otto

February 3, 2016 at 5:07 pm #804046

Otto
Supporter

Hello Adri,

I managed to reproduce the issue locally.

A full solution needs some custom coding but I think we can find a suitable workaround.

I set the Forum and the Topics to translate.

As you know if you go to the forum page you will get only the posts in the corresponding language and that´s not the behaviour that you want.

But if you go to yoursite/lang-code/topics you get all the tickets regardless the language.

Then, if you add the post form to the content-archive-topic.php file from bbPress, you'll have pretty much the desired behaviour.

<div class="bbp-post-form">
    <?php bbp_get_template_part( 'form', 'topic' ); ?>
</div>

Is this a suitable workaround for your? I hope we are getting closer to a solution 🙂

Kind Regards,

Otto

February 3, 2016 at 6:05 pm #804112

adriO

Hi Otto,

Thank you for your reply. I count it as a blessing that you are seriously looking into it.

However, I don't think I understand the steps you make. Here are my questions:

1 How do I set the Forum and the Topics to translate?
2 On your remark "But if you go to yoursite/lang-code/topics you get all the tickets regardless the language." I don't see the Dutch topics on the English page and no topics at all at the Dutch page. Is that because step 1 is not set correctly? See screenshots.
3 Do you mean: get the content-archive-topic.php file from the bbPress template folder, put it in my child theme folder and add the piece of code you provided?

I am more than willing to try this out but I think (stupid me) that I need a more step-by-step instruction on this. Are you willing to help me out here? Thanks in advance.

Schermafbeelding 2016-02-03 om 19.03.21.png
Schermafbeelding 2016-02-03 om 19.03.49.png
February 3, 2016 at 7:35 pm #804202

Otto
Supporter

Hi Adri,

Please apologise for not being clear enough.

I reproduced the issue and found the potential workaround in a fresh install so this are the steps I made:

-After bbPress activation go to: WPML > Translation Management > Multilingual content setup > Custom Posts and set Forums and Topics to translate
-Then create a forum, i.e., Support-en
-And translate it: Support-nl
-Create a topic for the EN forum
-And other topic for the NL forum
-You may want to translate them or not (the topics I mean)
-After that in /topics and /nl/topics you will see all the topics, regardless of the language

Hopefully at this stage we are getting closer.

To mimic the /forum page behaviour you need to add the post topic form. To do so, I kind of mixed:
-content-archive-topic.php, with:
-form-topic.php

Adding to the first one the code that I sent you before.

Then I get what's in the screenshot attached.

The create new topic allows you to choose in which forum (language) it will be posted. But this page will show all of them.

Please let me know if you are able to test it know and if we are heading in the right direction.

Kind Regards,

Otto

Unnamed image (1).png
February 4, 2016 at 1:25 pm #804898

adriO

Hi Otto,
I was thrilled to see what you had achieved. I tried to duplicate your steps but that didn't help. I don't know why. I did a fresh install of bbPress but the menu options in the dashboard did not appear. To get this right I had to activate the bbPress Multilingual plugin (again).

Next I followed your steps to create a new forum in English with a translation to Dutch.
I created a topic in both languages in the front-end but they are only showing in their own language. I also created two topics in the backend with the same result. I sometimes get a empty forum page stating 'Forum is empty, 0 topics found'.

I mixed the code like you told me and the screen to add a topic is visible. Trying to create a topic leaves me with the Error: ForumID is missing. This happens in English and Dutch.

Were you able to get your solution working in the site I send you or did you a managed it in a fresh wordpress install with only bbPress and WPML active? The lay-out tells me that it is not 'my' site.

Any more suggestions?

Regards,

Adri

PS. I really don't know how to create it but could it be an idea to show only the English forum in all languages by using an iframe or such? In this case I have to accept the fact that what is shown on the content area of the page is all in English. That's ok with me as long as the header and the footer are in Dutch.

February 4, 2016 at 3:11 pm #805046

Otto
Supporter

Hi Adri,

I did it in a fresh install. I didn't install bbPress Multilingual. In fact, I installed it and it stopped working.

Please deactivate bbPress Multilingual and change Topics to "don't translate". In this order as bbPress Multilingual changes the settings.

I'm not sure about the iframe solution, nor how to implement it 🙁

Do you think you can upload a test site to a server so we can see the same? If not we can set it up for you.

Take into account that what I get is just a first step, and we can find other issues towards a suitable solution. I can't guarantee we are going to success here as other issues may arise.

Kind Regards,

Otto

February 4, 2016 at 4:54 pm #805176

adriO

Hi Otto,
That clears some things. I made some progress myself also. What I did was the following:

I deactivated the bbPress Multilingual plugin and set the translation options to Do Nothing in Translation Management.
Next I created an English page, put some text in it and placed the shortcode [bbp-single-forum id=4783] in it where 4783 is the postID of the forum. Next I translated the page to Dutch with the same shortcode.

You can see the result in the screenshots. The forum interface is in English too on the Dutch page but I can live with that. Maybe we can work on it further from this point.
I can add topics and replies on both language pages. What I can't do is clicking on a topic to read and/or reply and on this single-topic-page change the language. The url changes from /supportforum to /forums/topic/......... That make sense from the point of WPML because the translation of that page does not exists. Can you think of a solution? Just thinking: when a visitor has the site set to a certain language what is the need of changing the language on those forum pages? The importance is that the visitor stays in his/hers preferred language and that is the case. Maybe I have to create some logic in the header file to hide the language switchers (in menubar and footer) when a topic page is shown. What is your opinion?

The real downside is that when I deactivate the bbPress Multilingual plugin the <Forums>, <Topics> and <Replies> options on the dashboard are gone. (see screenshot) This is somehow caused by the WPML Multilingual CMS plugin. Deactivating it returns the menu items. Those items are needed to moderate the forum. This is happening also when I try your solution above.

Yesterday I send you the links to download the site from a google drive and credentials.
Can you work with that or do I have to send it again? When needed I will be happy to send it again.

So, in short it boils down to two (hopefully small) issues:
1) The language selector on the pages inside the forum (topics, subscriptions, profile pages, etc)
2) The disappearing of the menu items for the forums when bbPress Multilingual is deactivated and WPML Multilingual CMS is activated. This is critical.

I really have the feeling that we are working in the right direction right now. It makes me 🙂

Regards,

Adri

EDIT: The sentence "The forum interface is in English too on the Dutch page but I can live with that." can be ignored. It is displayed in Dutch. It gets better and better.....

Schermafbeelding 2016-02-04 om 17.03.45.png
Schermafbeelding 2016-02-04 om 17.03.20.png
Schermafbeelding 2016-02-04 om 16.54.22.png