This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Author Posts
May 9, 2019 at 6:36 pm #3778779

Baptiste

There are a few different things that I need to fix in my translations, and I could not find a solution in previous issues on the forum

1/ How do I translate a block? My footer is a custom block created with WP5 new block feature. However, I cannot seem to find a way to translate it.

2/ How do I translate a button? For example, the three buttons that show on my homepage ("Toute la collection" / "La marque >" / "La collection >") are not available for translation.

3/ How do I changer the page they link to? More generally, how do I edit links in my translated pages? I've read a lot of issues on the forum, but could not find a solution. All my internal links point to the main language (French) version of the page, and I can't find a way to edit them in order to link to the translated (English) version of these.

4/ I've set up my language switch to be showing the current language flag, with a rollover effect to see other languages that are available. However, the rollover only works on smartphones and tablets (when the layout of the site is downsized and shows a responsive hamburger menu). On desktop, the rollover effect does not work.

5/ My theme comes with an Instagram widget which allow me to show my 4 lates posts. I've put this widget on my homepage. In the visual editor, I chose "Suivez-nous" for the link text. This is not available for translation. How can I translate it?

6/ My translated homepage (in English) does not have the right layout: the main video slider should appear behind the header, but instead I get a black background (see screencaps)

> hidden link

Thank you in advance for your help.

May 9, 2019 at 8:45 pm #3779305

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Bahia (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this: hidden link

Please, let me know if you need any additional details. Have a nice day.

May 10, 2019 at 5:30 pm #3787045

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the details provided. Unfortunately I wasn't able to access your website due a Jetpack login protection. Please, temporary disable this protection so we can proceed with our support efforts. Thank you for your collaboration, have a nice day.

May 11, 2019 at 9:50 am #3790007

Baptiste

Hi Marcos,
I would rather temporarily add your IP to the whitelist. Would you mind giving it to me in your next reply?
Thank you 🙂

May 13, 2019 at 6:20 pm #3801135

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Please, take a look at my private reply above. Thanks!

May 14, 2019 at 9:40 am #3805299

Baptiste

Thank you Marcos, I just added your IP to my whitelist. Thank you in advance for looking into my issues. I'm looking forward to reading your reply.

May 14, 2019 at 5:16 pm #3809479

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Please, take a look at my private reply above. Thanks!

May 17, 2019 at 10:11 am #3833189

Baptiste

Thank you Marcos. Let me know if you can now access my admin area.

May 17, 2019 at 6:20 pm #3836515

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the provided details. Regarding your issue: I noticed you are using some WPBakery custom blocks that's not registered for translation when using either the WPML Standard Translation editor or the WPML Advanced Translation Editor, so in this case you have two routes to follow:

Register the custom blocks for translation, this way you can make it available for translation using the WPML Translation Editor, here is how

1 - Using the instructions provided at: https://wpml.org/documentation/support/language-configuration-files/#page-builder-content register the WPBakery custom shortcodes for translation in your WordPress Dashboard > WPML > Settings > Custom XML Configuration.

2 - You are able to see the shortcodes names and paramenters when viewing the source code of the page content in the page editing screen from WordPress Dashboard > Pages

The easy way: Editing the translated page content using the default WordPress page/post editor.

1 - Click to edit a page where you are seeing the non translated content, for example your homepage from your WordPress Dashboard > Pages settings.

2 - Using the top admin bar language switcher, change to the language where you see the untranslated content.

3 - Now, manually edit the page builder blocks to adjust its translation, you can even edit the page settings to match the settings of your default language page content, for example to define the header style (e.g transparend header) the page sidebar, the page footer content and so on.

See: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-different-translation-editors-for-different-pages/

Footer content translation

1 - In your WordPress Dashboard > Blocks click to add a translation for your current footer content. You can use the same approach above used for manual page content translation described above.

2 - Now you are able to choose the translated footer as the footer choice of your translated page. See step 3 above.

Please, let me know if you need any additional assitance and clarifications. Have a nice day.

May 26, 2019 at 12:13 pm #3891661

Baptiste

Hi Marcos, thank you for your help and sorry for not replying earlier. I wanted to make sure every worked fine before writing back.
The only issue remaining to be fixed right now is the language switch: I've set it up to be showing the current language flag, with a rollover effect to see other languages that are available. However, the rollover only works on smartphones and tablets (when the layout of the site is downsized and shows a responsive hamburger menu). On desktop, the rollover effect does not work.

Do you think you could have a look at this?
Thank you in advance.