This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by wolframK-3 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
July 11, 2019 at 4:40 pm

wolframK-3

I am trying to:
fix the speed issue which I think comes from wpml plugin
Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link
I expected to see:
fairly fast site
Instead, I got:
extremely slow site. Sometimes (right now) it takes "only" 4-6 seconds for a page to load. But other times it takes up to 30 seconds which is not acceptable for my clients. And makes it nearly impossible for me to edit my pages.

July 12, 2019 at 8:23 am #4196283

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

When try to login into your site, I see the blank screen. However, could you try disabling the following - or enabling this option in fact?
WPML -> Theme and plugins localization -> Localization options -> Don't use String Translation to translate themes and plugins

The next WPML version is going to introduce a whole new way of dealing with strings that will reduce and even eliminate the WPML performance impact, so it's important for us to catch issues we might have missed and fix them.

If you still see performance issues after this option being set, let me know if you would be interested in providing a site copy so that we could provide performance profiling and perhaps implement what we found into next versions.

The new WPML version (beta) is expected sometime next week and would be available for the clients who engage in the performance profiling.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 12, 2019 at 9:12 am #4196855

wolframK-3

Hi Bruno,
thanks for the valuable tip! Disabling the string translation seems to solve the speed issue, at least for the moment.
I've experienced in the past that if the page was faster again, it slowed down after a day (for example when I translated more pages).
I don't even know what string translations are anyways 🙂 But I'm glad it works now.
One more thing I can't find: How can I translate content sections? Please see screenshot. The main text field is empty, but the content is below with two short text articles. On the right you see how it looks on the page.
But I just can't find where to translate those sections into German. Thanks for your help!
I'm not sure why you see a blank screen! Maybe it was because the site was so slow? Could you please try again now?

Best
Wolfram

July 12, 2019 at 11:14 am #4197993

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

The blank screen was because I typed the wrong URL :).

As for the translation, can you check this link now?
hidden link

I have made all the elements to be available for translation and it seems to be working (see the title):
hidden link

I have set all the fields to be translatable - including system fields - and updated the original page. After this, all the fields appeared in the translation management.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 12, 2019 at 11:39 am #4198219

wolframK-3

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!