This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Floris 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
August 16, 2019 at 9:48 pm #4408255

Floris

I am trying to update the WordPress main menu in my primary language (English). I've already saved the corresponding modification in my secondary language (Dutch): a new subitem (page) for a top-level item. After that, I switched to the English menu, added the subitem, and hit Save Menu.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: It cannot be seen in the frontend. Except that the subitem is visible in the Dutch version of the menu, but not in the English version.

I expected to see the English-language menu saved successfully.

Instead, I got a "Service Unavailable" 503 error, probably a timeout. After which I could reload the admin, but the change wasn't saved.

In the Dutch menu, I can modify menu items, and save the menu succesfully. In the English menu, I can't add the subitem I want, but neither can I remove items. I can't even save the menu unchanged. Any time I hit Save on the English menu, the save times out. And after the save times out on the English menu, I can't save the Dutch menu anymore either, same problem. Only after I close the wp-admin tab and reload it, can I save the Dutch menu. The English menu never saves.

Last time I modified the English menu was some months back. Nothing in particular has changed since then.

August 16, 2019 at 10:37 pm #4408369

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the WPML Support Forum.

What happens if you use the sync option at WPML -> WP Menus Sync?

Could you please try to run the site in minimal setup to see if the issue persists?

Please disable any additional plugin that is not related to WPML and its add-ons. If the issue disappears please start reactivating any plugins, or activate them in small groups. This way please verify at which points the issue appears again to indicate the plugin that is causing the issue.

Also please change to a default theme like TwentySeventeen to see if the issue might be theme related.

Further, you could enable the wp-debug feature to see if there are any current PHP errors given.

Add the following to your wp-config.php file:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

The wp-config.php is located in your WordPress root directory. It’s the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it.

If you open wp-config.php and that define statement is not there, you can add it right before this line:

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

You will be able to find a complete report inside of your wp-content folder. Look for a debug.log file and provide me the results.

More information about how to activate this feature you can find here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/

Let me know about the results. In case the debug-log is very long please add it to a web tool like pastebin.com and send me the link.

Kind regards,
Andreas

August 17, 2019 at 7:35 am #4409531

Floris

Dear Andreas,

Thank you for your quick reply!

I've proceeded to disable all non-WPML addins, and confirmed that my menu would save in a plugin-free environment. Then I selectively re-enabled the plugins until the problem reappeared. That way, I was able to ascertain that the Popup Maker plugin by WP Popup Maker was the culprit.

Then, to confirm that the problem was only with the Popup Maker plugin, I restored the site from backup and disabled only the Popup Maker plugin. The problem persisted: I could not save the menu.

Then I disabled WooCommerce as well, and removed the then-invalid WooCommerce product entries from the menu. The menu would then save.

Then I re-enabled WooCommerce, and left Popup Maker disabled. The menu would then still save.

So my conclusion is:

- With the combination of WooCommerce and Popup Maker both active, the menu was too long to save.
- With WooCommerce and Popup Maker disabled, I was able to shorten the menu to an acceptable size.
- Which reduced the problem to Popup Maker causing the menu to not save.

But since I previously did save the menu in its longest form, it must have been a change in Popup Maker that caused the menu to not save.

In any case, I can now edit and save my menu, as long as I disable Popup Maker while I edit the menu.

But is this a compatibility issue that WPML wants to investigate, or should I contact WooCommerce and Popup Maker?

August 17, 2019 at 7:41 am #4409539

Floris

My issue is resolved now. Thank you! As it turns out, Popup Maker interferes with the standard WP menu editor, and is aware that this causes problems in some cases. For that reason, they provide a setting to disable the menu editor interference. Switched that on, problem went away.