This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by OlivierL 6 years ago.

Assigned support staff: Andrey.

Author Posts
October 3, 2013 at 7:34 am #272019

OlivierL

Hello there,

My name is Olivier LECA and I'm the marketing manager for the ELI group (7 companies), we purchase a Lifetime license on Sept 13th (Transaction: order_5232bfb58cd38) under this account.
I'm taking over the website development for Playlife (one of our sister companies) but the person who originally set-up WPML messed up so much that I need your help.

Here is a video showing some issues : hidden link

I have currently 2 major issues :
1- The pages translated don't display while it seems to me that the menus created are ok.
For example for the English homepage, the page exist in my WP back office but won't even display with the URL (which is the permalink showing on the page): hidden link

Examples of pages existing but not displaying when I click on the English flag while being on the German version of that same page:
hidden link

hidden link

2- Second issue you can notice on these English URLs, the footer is all in German. I think I need to create a Footer menu in English, is that correct??

October 3, 2013 at 8:31 am #272049

Andrey
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Russian (Русский )

Timezone: Europe/Kiev (GMT+03:00)

Dear Olivier,

Thank you for contacting to us !

The first step in addressing the issue is to kindly request that you update your WPML from very old version 2.6.0 to latest version 2.9.2 and WPML add-ons to their latest versions. Can you do this please?

You can check the latest released versions under "My Account -> Downloads" on this site. Instructions to update can be found here: http://wpml.org/faq/install-wpml/#2

Please remember to backup your database first before you proceed! You can use a plugin for this if you like (search for WordPress backup plugins)

Let me know if the issue persists after the update has been done.

Thanks,
Andrey

October 3, 2013 at 10:55 am #272170

OlivierL

Hi, AnDrey

I backed up the website and updated all the WPML plugins.
Now first thing is that my language switcher has disappeared from the header (to the right) how do I restore that? I checked on your documentation and it's not clear for header integration where I do need to insert the code.
Could you please walk me through the process?
Then I'll check if the issue is still there.

Thanks,
Olivier

October 3, 2013 at 2:13 pm #272286

OlivierL

Hey Andrey
Send me an email at branding21st@gmail.com so I will have your email address and can create you as user for my WP back office so you can have a look.

Thanks,
Olivier

October 3, 2013 at 2:14 pm #272287

OlivierL

This thread is NOT resolved - why does it have this status ???

October 3, 2013 at 2:34 pm #272300

Andrey
Supporter

Dear Olivier,

I don't closed your topic, maybe when you took my first answer accidentally closed the topic, we only start to resolve your issue.

I’ll send you a private email right now asking you for some private information that will help me debug this issue for you. Please check your email in a couple of minutes, and if you don’t get it, let me know so I can send it again.

Thanks,
Andrey

October 4, 2013 at 3:13 pm #272830

Andrey
Supporter

Dear Olivier,

I have received your email with the details. I will take a look and update you here as soon as I know more.

Thanks,
Andrey

October 7, 2013 at 1:58 pm #273653

Andrey
Supporter

Dear Olivier,

Can you please check login credentials that you sent to me, i cant access to your site.

Thanks,
Andrey

October 8, 2013 at 8:50 am #274004

OlivierL

Hi, Andrey

I sent you my own logins per email this morning (10/08/2013)
Please confirm that you can get in - my client is asking about progresses

Thanks by advance,
Olivier

October 8, 2013 at 9:00 am #274012

OlivierL

Andrey,

If you could check as PRIORITY#1 how to reactivate the language switcher in the header - it was located on the top right above the search box (it disappeared when I did the update of the plugins) so they can access some of the other languages

Thanks,
Olivier

October 8, 2013 at 11:24 am #274127

Andrey
Supporter

Dear Olivier,

There is no the language switcher in the header, because there is no call to get_sidebar('top-widget'), other way to do this add

<?php do_action('icl_language_selector'); ?>

in header.php, i am added and language switcher appear.
About your footer, there used text through widget

<?php if (!dynamic_sidebar('right-sidebar')) : ?>

, best way to resolve your issue, use Widget Logic plugin and you will able translate text of the widget for each language. With Widget Logic each of these widgets will be active in only one language, so you need as many copies as the number of languages you have and you will separate this widgets, like lines below:

1 widget for English:
ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE == 'en'
2 widget for German:
ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE == 'de'
3 widget for Russian:
ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE == 'ru'

you need translate your widget called 'right-sidebar'.

Please review this article:
http://wpml.org/2011/03/howto-display-different-widgets-per-language/

Please let me know if you are satisfied with my answer and if I can help you with any other questions you might have.

Thanks,
Andrey

October 8, 2013 at 11:55 am #274144

OlivierL

Hi, Andrey

Thank you for that. I'm not a web designer (more an SEO expert) so excuse my questions and lack of knowledge for php. I'm OK with most of your explanations except for the use of Widget logic. I uploaded the plugin but don't see where to access settings to translate. It seems to me that I need to write things in the code (php). Could you guide me through the procedure a bit more in details because to be honest, the explanations provided on the plugin website are like Chinese to me.

I really appreciate your help with this.
Olivier

October 9, 2013 at 10:16 am #274627

Andrey
Supporter

Dear Olivier,

I added some widgets,
Please go to Appearance > Widget, and look closer to sidebar "right-sidebar" open and you can see many widgets:
The first four widgets for English language

ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE == 'en'

The second four widgets for German language

ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE == 'de'

The third four widgets for Russian language

ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE == 'ru'

The fifth four widgets for Danish language

ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE == 'da'

The six four widgets for Turkish language

ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE == 'tr'

See attachment (download image and you will see full size/zoom).

Where you see empty widgets, you must copy German text with html and translate only text.

Thanks,
Andrey

October 10, 2013 at 5:17 am #275036

OlivierL

Thank you so much, Andrey. You ROCK. Super tech support, i'm really happy with it.