Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 25 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bigul 3 days, 15 hours ago.

Assigned support staff: Bigul.

Author Posts
September 17, 2020 at 7:46 am

thomasW-84

My Worpress site (backend + frontend) is loading very slow. Backend operatoins take around 10 seconds. I used Query Monitor to find the plugins which are causing this. It points to WPML and The Grid (a grid plugin). After deactivating The Grid, the site is still slow. Deactivating WPML makes the loading speed significantly better.

September 17, 2020 at 8:04 am
September 17, 2020 at 10:16 am #7034933

thomasW-84

Hi,

I've now deactivated all plugins (except the WPML ones) and set the theme to TwentyTwenty.
This excercise alone improved the loading speed in the backend. Might this point to a caching or transients issue?

I also found, that every single plugin I re-activated made the backend a bit slower again. Probably no surprise, right?

One plugin that caused the biggest impact on the loading time was this one: The theme "TheGem" comes with a separate plugin to include additional content elements (e.g. its own button design). The theme itself works at a good speed. But after re-activating this "TheGem Theme Elements (for WPBakery)" pluging, the backend slowed down again.
I do need this plugin though, as these theme elements are necessary for the overall design.

Any idea what I can do now?
I'm a bit afraid, that if I ask the devs from TheGem, they'd just point the finger at WPML again. I'd need a more specific error message to have some proof.

Thomas

September 17, 2020 at 6:57 pm #7039855

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hi Thomas,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. I will do my best to help you to resolve the issue.

Thank you for the feedback. Which type of hosting service you are currently using, shared or VPS or Dedicated?

Please note, *TheGem* theme is not included on the WPML official compatibility list for the themes - https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility. It does not mean that this theme is not compatible with WPML, but our compatibility team has not tested it yet.

It may be a compatibility issue. So I have created a test site in our sandbox server for further debugging of the issue. It is a fresh installation. Please click the following URL to access the site dashboard.

hidden link

Please visit the sandbox site and configure WPML like your live site. Then install *TheGem* theme & supporting plugins and check the issue is reproducible or not. Reproducing the issue in a fresh installation will help us lot with debugging and we can troubleshoot the issue without affecting your live site. Also as a part of our escalation process, we have to make sure the issue is existing in a minimal setup. Please note, the sandbox site will expire automatically after seven days.

I have one more request. It will be great if you can request the TheGem theme author to apply for our Compatibility Program. Please share the following URL with them. May we need their cooperation to fix this issue and also with the help of *TheGem* dev team we can make this plugin fully compatible with WPML.

https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/go-global-program

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 18, 2020 at 11:45 am #7045245

thomasW-84

Hi Bigul,

Thanks for your help with this.

My hosting: Shared.

TheGem Theme: I saw it in your theme compatibility list. That's why I thought it's a good idea to build a site with this theme. See attached screenshot.

Test site: Thanks for setting this up. I configured WPML accordingly and installed all necessary plugins of the theme.

Let me know, if you need anything else.

Thomas

September 18, 2020 at 5:27 pm #7047905

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for the updates and setting the staging site. Sorry for the confusion, somehow yesterday TheGem theme was not listing for me, maybe a miss spell.

Just to make sure, are you able to reproduce the performance issue on the sandbox site. Or do we have to create more posts or pages and translate it for reproducing the issue.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 19, 2020 at 6:07 am #7050251

thomasW-84

Hi Bigul,

Thanks for the update.

I'm not experiencing any performance issues with this current setup. What should I do next on this text site?

Thomas

September 19, 2020 at 5:38 pm #7051463

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for the updates. Please fill the private details fields after a full site backup. I would like to access the admin area of your site for further checking.

Please refer to the following links for more details about our private information sharing policies.

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

hidden link

Please allows me to make a duplicator copy of your site using the Duplicator plugin(https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/) for debugging the issue on my local server.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 19, 2020 at 6:16 pm
September 20, 2020 at 6:45 pm #7054547

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for the updates and permission. I made a duplicator copy of the site, will test it further locally, and get back to you as soon as possible. Please wait.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 21, 2020 at 5:41 am #7055811

thomasW-84

Hi Bigul,

Sounds good, I'll wait. Thanks again for your help.

Thomas

September 22, 2020 at 9:10 am
September 22, 2020 at 9:14 am #7066553

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Thomas,

Please check my last message. It is marked as private. I have created a test space in Cloudways for debugging and tracing the issue. Please find the details in the previous reply and migrate your site to Test space. So we can troubleshoot the issue without affecting your live site. Thank you for your understanding.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 22, 2020 at 9:38 am #7067311

thomasW-84

Hi Bigul,

I tried starting the migration via Cloudways (see screenshot 01), but I get an error message after starting the migration (see screenshot 02). I worked with Cloudways in an earlier ticket a month ago. I had no problems back then.

Maybe there is an error in the credentials?

Thomas

September 22, 2020 at 10:23 am #7067907

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for the updates. The credentials are correct in the recheck. This may be because of the conflict in the destination URL. So please try with hidden link as destination URL instead of hidden link and check the issue is existing or not.

--
Thanks!

Bigul