This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
June 1, 2020 at 9:02 pm #6268585

dannyD-5

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I updated the plugin from 3.9.x to the latest version using file update on the FTP, i overwrote the whole folder. The WPML admin pages look really weird, and it looks like some things are missing (see screenshot, white field on the page translation management). How can I properly update without losing current translations?

I also can't find the translation button to immediately go in a page, to the wpml translation editor.

June 2, 2020 at 11:04 pm #6277707

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

First of all, thank you very much for your patience and sorry to have you waiting - there is a very full ticket queue at the moment and it takes us a bit more than usual to answer tickets.

Now, regarding your request:

1. No worries on losing the data - that's saved inside the database so deleting/uninstalling the plugins won't affect the data in the database. Just create a full website backup first so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have that.

2. You can then go to the site hosting server (you can connect via FTP/SFTP or via the File Manager from your hosting panel) and completely remove the old folder and install a fresh new WPML plugin.

Please let me know how that goes and if you need any extra help along the way.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

June 3, 2020 at 4:36 pm #6285887

dannyD-5

Hi,

I just reinstalled all plugins, but however on my pages, I cannot find the button to go to the translation editor to translate all strings?
I remember that before there was a pencil icon, to edit the language below the English flag.
Can you help me with this?

Thanks!

June 4, 2020 at 10:51 am #6293005

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi and welcome back.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of the site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box.

The private box looks like this: hidden link

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

June 8, 2020 at 9:46 pm #6324969

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi and thank you for the credentials.

I can confirm that they work.

I am spending more time on this and I will get back to you as soon as I have more feedback.

I will leave the ticket assigned to myself for the moment.

Kind regards,
Mihai

June 9, 2020 at 4:50 pm #6334259

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi there, Cedric.

After spending some time on the website, I can definitely tell that something is not correct.

The WPML > Settings area doesn't look normal (it looks somehow affected by either an incompatibility between the theme/or one of the plugins that you are having active and the WPML plugin).

First, create a full website backup.

After that:

1. Disable all the non-WPML plugins and see if the issue is still happening (if it doesn't, please try to enable each plugin back and check when the issue is happening so that you can find the plugin that creates that issue)
2. If it still doesn't work, please switch from the current theme to a WordPress default theme (like twentysixteen)
3. See if the issue is still happening

If this still happens, please let me know.

The next steps would be for me to try to reinstall that for you but if things are broken inside the database and what I try to do doesn't help, I'm afraid that you would need to reset WPML but we would need to first make sure that this is not cause by either one of the active plugins or the current theme or by an inappropriate WPML installation.

Please let me know how that goes.

Kind regards,
Mihai

June 10, 2020 at 4:04 pm #6343997

dannyD-5

Hi there,

Thanks for your time and checking my website.
I think my theme is the issue. When I deactivate it, all seems normal from WPML. Is that possible, because the theme is only frontend? Or am i wrong?
I think this theme needs updates too :/..

Kind regards
Cedric

June 10, 2020 at 7:57 pm #6345331

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi Cedric and welcome back.

If things look normal again when you switch the current theme to a WordPress-default theme, then yes, the issue might be the theme itself.

Also, if we look here (hidden link), it seems that the latest version of this theme is version 3.2.7 while on your site, you are using a super old version (version 1.9.1) so that might be the main issue.

But be careful, create a website backup first because when you have plugins or themes that are super old compared to the actual versions, things might break.

I hope that you will find this information helpful 🙂

Kind regards,
Mihai

June 10, 2020 at 8:43 pm #6345595

dannyD-5

Hi Mihai,

That’s very old indeed! I will make a backup, and try to update everything this weekend. I think that should resolve the issue as you say.
Thanks a lot for your help! Was very helpful.
If I still encounter issues after theme updates, I will reach out again if that is ok.
Many thanks again, have a wonderful day!

Kind regards
Cedric

June 12, 2020 at 2:57 pm #6360519

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Sure, Cedric.

Good luck and feel free to get back to me if you will have any other questions.

PS: Just a note that I won't be working on the weekend so I will be able to get back to you at the beginning of next week.

Kind regards,
Mihai