This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Sitemap generated with Jetpack shows duplicate entries.

Solution: Jetpack's Sitemap module is using custom SQL queries directly to the database so WPML's filters don't have any effect. Hence it detects the are two copies of each post and page but it does not detect the language of those entries.

This will be escalated to our compatibility team for further investigation but it will take time. However, there are other plugins that have been tested: https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/?wpv_post_search=seo

Relevant Documentation:

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by riittaK-2 12 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Ricardo Alday.

Author Posts
October 20, 2018 at 10:20 am #2834015

riittaK-2

I am trying to:Controll my sitemap and sent it to Google index

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:hidden link

I expected to see:Swedish and english urls. There´s two different content and url in Swedish and English. But the sitemap shows double Swedish.

Instead, I got: 616 hidden link 2018-10-20T01:45:05Z
617 hidden link 2018-10-20T01:48:10Z

October 22, 2018 at 11:58 am #2837899

riittaK-2

I have used the plugin one day and have translated five articles. But I have been waiting just now 49 hours for help. Hmm..

October 22, 2018 at 6:03 pm #2839357

Ricardo Alday

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support.
My apologies for the late reply but we don't work weekends.

That said, Jetpack's Sitemap module is using custom SQL queries directly to the database so WPML's filters don't have any effect. Hence it detects the are two copies of each post and page but it does not detect the language of those entries.

This will be escalated to our compatibility team for further investigation but it will take time. However, there are other plugins that have been tested:
https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/?wpv_post_search=seo

Most customers use Yoast SEO.
Would this be a viable solution for you?

Best regards,
Ricardo

October 22, 2018 at 6:13 pm #2839394

riittaK-2

Oh well. Yes I can test Yoast. I guess it´s a free plugin. I´ll install it tomorrow (for me tomorrow) and let´s have this case open so long. Shall I use Google sitemap plugin or Yoast´s?

October 22, 2018 at 6:21 pm #2839416

Ricardo Alday

Use Yoast to generate the sitemaps and then submit those sitemaps to Google as outlined in this article: hidden link

October 22, 2018 at 6:31 pm #2839430

riittaK-2

I´m going to install Yoast now. I could´nt wait. Is there anything good to know with Yoast vs WPML? I have never used Yoast.

October 22, 2018 at 7:16 pm #2839649

riittaK-2

So it seems to work fine with Yoast! Nice sitemaps too. Thank You! Have a nice evening!

October 22, 2018 at 7:21 pm #2839669

riittaK-2

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!