This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
September 24, 2018 at 6:14 pm #2761531

jerryS-5

I am trying to set the default locale of the Spanish translation of our site to es_US. I get an error saying:

Spanish (current locale: es_US) - suggested locale(s): es_CL, es_ES, es_GT, es_VE, es_CO, es_MX, es_CR, es_PE, es_AR

To fix, open "Edit Languages" and set the "default locale" values as shown above."

We do not do business in Spain, Mexico, Argentina, etcetera, we do business in the U.S. where ~15% of the population are Spanish speakers and our page should target them. I am not sure how this negatively affects our SEO with the wrong locale, but we need to fix it.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to be able to set the appropriate location.

Instead, I got a warning that it is incorrect.

September 25, 2018 at 7:52 pm #2765153

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

The default locale is used to correlate your language to the WordPress translation "database"

therefore the default locale is used by WordPress to find any existing translations done by the translation teams (.mo/.po files) to download to your site automatically.

the notice is letting you know that you are using a default locale that is not found therefore no automatic translations will be download by WP , its not going to cause any issues with SEO or the way the site function and it is safe to ignore.

you can find the existing locales from WP here
=> https://make.wordpress.org/polyglots/teams/