This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Need to translate shop base url and product base url for WooCommerce.

Solution: The correct approach in translating the shop slug is to go to Settings > Permalinks > Product Permalinks section and ensure that the shop base is selected.

http://prntscr.com/en2u1x

From there click on “translations” or simply go to WooCommerce > Woocommerce Multilingual page > Store URLs tab > Shop page and translate to french by clicking the ‘+’ under the french flag.

http://prntscr.com/en2vb7

http://prntscr.com/en2vpz

If instead, you would like to use use ‘product’ base url for your products, go to Settings > Permalinks > Product Permalinks section and ensure that the default base is selected.

http://prntscr.com/enej17

To translate the default ‘product’ base to ‘produit’, go to WooCommerce > Woocommerce Multilingual page > Store URLs tab > Product base and translate to for e.g french by clicking the ‘+’ under the french flag.

http://prntscr.com/enelmk

Plugins required to use WooCommerce Multilingual

WPML 3.4 or above WPML String Translation 2.0 or above WPML Translation Management 2.2 or above WPML Media Translation 2.1 or above WooCommerce 2.1 or later

Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/woocommerce-multilingual/

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by John 3 years, 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Arvish Mungur.

Author Posts
March 22, 2017 at 1:14 am #1236338

claireH-2

WHAT I'M TRYING TO DO
I'm trying to connect all the FRENCH PRODUCT pages to the main Magasinez (ie. French shop page) AND I would also like each individual French product page to display the French banner.

There are 2 problems:
1) PROBLEM 1
French SHOP page: hidden link
As you can see there are no products display here.

But if you visit the English SHOP page, you can see products: hidden link

So how can I link up the FRENCH product pages so it display on the MAIN FRENCH Magasinez page?

2) PROBLEM 2
Now when I go into individual FRENCH product page such as hidden link

It uses the English banner: "Shop: Making the Rock Star dream a reality."

But these individual French product pages should be using the Magasiner banner: "Magasinez : Faire du rêve du rock une réalité."

I imagine this problem is related to problem 1?

I would appreciate your help with this.

Thank you kindly.

March 22, 2017 at 1:27 pm #1236809

Arvish Mungur

Hello claireH-2,

Thank you for contacting WPML support.

I will be happy to help you with your ticket.

From what I gather you are trying to change the ‘shop’ slug of WooCommerce in English to ‘magasinez’ in French.

The correct approach in translating the slug is to go to Settings > Permalinks > Product Permalinks section and ensure that the shop base is selected.

hidden link

From there click on “translations” or simply go to WooCommerce > Woocommerce Multilingual page > Store URLs tab > Shop page and translate to french by clicking the ‘+’ under the french flag.

hidden link

hidden link

From your set up it appears that the Woocommerce Multilingual add on is not installed.

If you have registered your site for automatic updates, you can download and activate Woocommerce Multilingual from Plugins page > WPML Multilingual CMS > Registered

hidden link

If you are unable to download and activate the plugin via the installer, you can download it from https://wpml.org/account/downloads . Then manually upload and activate it from Plugins > Add New > Upload Plugin > Browse and upload the downloaded file > Activate the plugin.

You can learn more on how to use Woocommerce Multilingual to help you translate WooCommerce pages, taxonomies and products from the following link:

https://wpml.org/documentation/woocommerce-extensions-compatibility/

Please let me know if the above helps in solving your issue.

Kind regards

March 23, 2017 at 5:50 am #1237393

claireH-2

Hi Arvish,

Thank you for trying to debug this with me.

I installed the WooCommerce Multilingual plugin as per your instructions but I'm still having problem.

Let me restart ... I'll try to explain my issue better.

1) PROBLEM 1
French SHOP page: hidden link
As you can see there are no products display here.

But if you visit the English SHOP page, you can see products: hidden link

So how can I link up the FRENCH product pages so it display on the MAIN FRENCH Magasinez page? I have already created the products in French as well so why are they not showing up to the Magasinez page?

2) PROBLEM 2
I do not wish to use the "/shop" slugn, I am planning on using the "/product" slug.

This is a sample English product page: hidden link You will see more if you mouseover the navigation PACKAGES > BIRTHDAYS.

This is the French version of the POP STAR BIRTHDAY product page: hidden link

But the French URL should be: hidden link

If you look at the URL for the French version, it has PRODUCT, instead of PRODUIT (which is a french translation of product). In any case, I am having someone else looking into this slug issue.

What I needed your help with is why isn't the French BANNER section (ie. title and subtitle) being used for the French products?

If you are on the French site, you can mouse over FORFAITS > FETES > and choose any package. You will see that they are using the English title and subtitle. I would like to fix it so the title and subtitle are in French instead.

How can I do this?

Thank you for your help. If you need access to the site, please send me a private request and I'll provide you access.

Chi.

March 23, 2017 at 8:26 am #1237484

Arvish Mungur

Hello claireH-2,

Thank you for your reply.

The solution above stands if you want to use hidden link as the English store and hidden link as the french store.

If you have created the french page seperately, delete and recreate it as a translation of the Shop page. Then proceed with the slug translation as described in my previous reply.

Given that you want to use ‘product’ base url for your products, go to Settings > Permalinks > Product Permalinks section and ensure that the default base is selected.

hidden link

To translate the default ‘product’ base to ‘produit’, go to WooCommerce > Woocommerce Multilingual page > Store URLs tab > Product base and translate to french by clicking the ‘+’ under the french flag.

hidden link

With regards to the shop banner, are you integrating that via a plugin, shortcode, theme file, widget or theme option?

To translate Widget content, go to WPML > String Translation page. From the “Select strings within domain:” dropdown and select the “Widgets” text domain and locate the string to be translated. If the Widget options are not available, follow the instructions from the article and video in the link below to allow you to translate fields from your custom Widget:

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-widgets/

With regards to the theme or plugin, if the text is found directly within the theme or plugin files, you will need to scan your theme/plugin for translatable strings. To do so, please follow the steps below:

- Go to WPML->Theme and plugins localization.
- Scroll down to "Strings in the plugins" or "Strings in the theme" section.
- Click “Scan the theme for strings” to scan for strings within the theme files.
- For plugins, select the plugin you wish to scan for strings for
- Click on "Scan the selected plugins for strings" at the bottom. (Depending on the number of plugins selected and the size of the plugins, this may take some time)
- Once completed, go to WPML > String Translation page. From the “Select strings within domain:” dropdown and select the theme or plugin’s text domain and locate the string to be translated.

If the text from the plugin is entered via a form or a widget, you can refer to the instructions about translating widgets above.

Please let me know if this resolves your issue.

Kind regards

March 23, 2017 at 8:32 am #1237497

Arvish Mungur

Hello claireH-2,

Thank you for your reply.

The solution above stands if you want to use hidden link as the English store and hidden link as the french store.

If you have created the french page seperately, delete and recreate it as a translation of the Shop page. Then proceed with the slug translation as described in my previous reply.

Given that you want to use ‘product’ base url for your products, go to Settings > Permalinks > Product Permalinks section and ensure that the default base is selected.

hidden link

To translate the default ‘product’ base to ‘produit’, go to WooCommerce > Woocommerce Multilingual page > Store URLs tab > Product base and translate to french by clicking the ‘+’ under the french flag.

hidden link

With regards to the shop banner, are you integrating that via a plugin, shortcode, theme file, widget or theme option?

To translate Widget content, go to WPML > String Translation page. From the “Select strings within domain:” dropdown and select the “Widgets” text domain and locate the string to be translated. If the Widget options are not available, follow the instructions from the article and video in the link below to allow you to translate fields from your custom Widget:

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-widgets/

With regards to the theme or plugin, if the text is found directly within the theme or plugin files, you will need to scan your theme/plugin for translatable strings. To do so, please follow the steps below:

- Go to WPML->Theme and plugins localization.
- Scroll down to "Strings in the plugins" or "Strings in the theme" section.
- Click “Scan the theme for strings” to scan for strings within the theme files.
- For plugins, select the plugin you wish to scan for strings for
- Click on "Scan the selected plugins for strings" at the bottom. (Depending on the number of plugins selected and the size of the plugins, this may take some time)
- Once completed, go to WPML > String Translation page. From the “Select strings within domain:” dropdown and select the theme or plugin’s text domain and locate the string to be translated.

If the text from the plugin is entered via a form or a widget, you can refer to the instructions about translating widgets above.

Please let me know if this resolves your issue.

Kind regards

March 23, 2017 at 7:28 pm #1238271

claireH-2

Thanks Arvish.

It appears I was missing 2 other plugins to make this work, WPML Media and WPML Translation Management.

All is working as it should. Thanks for the help.

June 20, 2017 at 5:17 pm #1302208

John

Hey i have same issue like you and i have all plugins installed.
My eng shop is showing normal but on other language the slug shop still persists in website link.
hidden link
hidden link
I've translated shop even in string but without succes.