This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
September 25, 2018 at 7:16 am #2762766

tonP

Hello. The website hidden link is a dutch website with 4 other languages. So a total of 5 languages. The customer now obtained the url hidden link. The plan is now to split up the website in a dutch only website (www.2agree.nl) and a multilangual website hidden link. With hidden link the main language will be English with translations in French, German and Spanish.

So the question is. What is the best strategy / best practice, to approach this matter.

My idea is this:
1. Duplicate the website to the hidden link domain.
2. Remove all the 4 languages from the hidden link site, leaving only the dutch language.
3. On the hidden link site, switch the main language from Dutch to English. Then remove the Dutch language.
4. Redirect the url’s from the hidden link removed languages pages to the hidden link domain.

Is this the right plan to choose and what problems could I expect? What could be the problems with SEO.

All this will be done in test environments first off course.

Thx!

September 26, 2018 at 9:32 am #2766647

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

There are two parts to your question, one that I can answer with confidence and the other which is best made to an SEO expert.

For the question on splitting the site, your steps would be the ones I would have recommended.

For the SEO part, if you map all old .nl URLs to the corresponding new URLs it should be fine. For the URLs where there is no exact match you can redirect to the corresponding language homepage. You will need to put the 301 in the old site, as there is the place where the traffic is arriving.

Eventually, the new traffic may make the 301s no longer necessary.
I would recommend asking the same question to the Yoast SEO support guys.

September 26, 2018 at 9:40 am #2766658

tonP

Hello Yvette,

thank you for your answers. What would you recommend, removing the languages that are not relevant anymore or simply hiding them in WPML? And where do you remove the language in WPML?

September 26, 2018 at 10:06 am #2766793

Yvette
Supporter

1. Removing v. Hiding

SInce you are making a duplicate/clone of the original site, all of your content in the non-Dutch languages would be in the new domain. Hiding the languages as a first step could be prudent as a sort of "backup" if you needed to make a new clone I suppose.

On the other hand, removing the data in other languages could be free-up clutter in your DB and performance could improve. e.g. just because you hide a language does not mean, for example, that when you upload an image it is not being replicated to these language spaces. It also would not mean that new data could not be created - introducing some kind of data integrity workflow issues if someone was not aware of where to create new data content for these languages.

2. Removing a language
There are 2 steps to removing a language:
a. Removing the language content
b. Removing the language form the WPML configuration

a. Data Content
You should use the administrative language flags and remove all post types and taxonomies in those languages. This would include images or other media attachments

b. WPML configuration
After having removed the data content, you could then go and remove the langauge by simply removing the tick beside the language flag here:
WPML -> Langauges -> Site languages -> Add/remove language

Does this answer your questions?

October 5, 2018 at 12:24 pm #2790678

tonP

Hi there, today im splitting up the 2 websites. Until now in the testenvironments everything seems okay. Still one question. On the NL / Dutch site which now is only one language. Would it be best practice to delete the wpml plugin here because this is a single language site now?

October 5, 2018 at 8:58 pm #2791666

Yvette
Supporter

I guess it would make sense and keep your site consistent to remove it.

If you delete the WPML plugin, be sure to also delete the associated database tables just to be complete.

These would be all tables that start with "icl_" and also any entries in the wp-options table where there is "wpml" or "icl" in the option name.

Once you have done this, then all WPML traces would be gone. If you only delete the plugin, the database settings still remain.

The topic ‘[Closed] Need help with best strategy to split multilangual website with into 2 websites’ is closed to new replies.