This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by rodrigoM-6 11 months, 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
October 22, 2018 at 3:31 pm #2838678

rodrigoM-6

Tell us what you are trying to do?
My site is now in english, but I started with spanish as original and default language, I still have some of the attributes in Spanish but one of the plugins I NEED TO USE needs the main language to be the original. Now I have the whole content in english but the first attributes with spanish as original language

Is there a way to change attribute's original language from spanish (old one) to english (new default for site)?

hidden link

October 23, 2018 at 9:40 am #2841711

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

You should be able to change the language of the attribute by going to WooCommerce > WooCommerce Multilingual > Attributes > Select the attribute to translate > under the attribute name, in the "Translations of taxonomy Atribut labels and slug" column, you should see a link called "Change language". Click that, change the language and save.

If you want just to change the attribute name and not the language, you should be able to do that either from Products > Attributes or from WPML > String Translation.

Please let me know if this solved your issue or if you still need help.

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai

October 24, 2018 at 1:06 pm #2846299

rodrigoM-6

Hello, I need to change the main language of the terms, the attribute is already in english, but the terms show Spanish as original language.
THANK YOU!

October 24, 2018 at 4:44 pm #2847326

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

This may be possible by editing the database directly (wp_icl_translations table) but I am not sure what will happen to the variations after that.

Here is some very helpful documentation for this:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-tables/#language-information-and-translations

You would need to set NULL as 'source_language' code of the term with 'language_code = en'. Then set en as 'source_language' code of the term with 'language_code = es'.

❌ I recommend testing this on a staging site only not on the live site. Also, make sure you do a full backup of the site files and database. ❌

Please let me know if this solved your issue or if you still need help.

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai

October 25, 2018 at 11:42 pm #2851332

rodrigoM-6

Hi Mihai,
Thanks, I'm gonna try it tonight
How can I do the same with some product categories (have spanish as original language and I want them with english as original language)

October 26, 2018 at 12:50 pm #2853044

rodrigoM-6

DONE. You can mark it as resolved

October 26, 2018 at 12:51 pm #2853045

rodrigoM-6

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!