If you are having a notice about writing the .mo files please read this doc

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
March 18, 2019 at 12:22 am #3364975

monicaB-8

I am trying to:

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: <removed>
I expected to see: lang-by-dir append (/en) only on sites where WPML has been activated

Instead, I got: all sites on multisite network automatically have Visit links appended with /en

March 19, 2019 at 4:39 am #3375725

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+01:00)

Hello

I´ll be helping you with this issue.

Normally, each site should be completely independent databases which would imply a completely independent URL format. I will be working to try to replicate this issue on a separate server.

1. Could you please provide access to your site (network admin)? I am opening the private area for system access details.

2. Please also install & activate the ARI Adminer plugin.

Thanks

March 22, 2019 at 3:49 pm #3442063

Yvette
Supporter

1. You wrote: "Could you please remove the attached file showing internal details of the site.."
Done

2. You wrote: " I'..m not sure you are familiar with multisite as you reference multiple databases. Multisite installs are on a single DB."

Sorry, I should have selected my words more carefully. I meant that the wp-options and wordpress instance tables are separate as per this article.:
hidden link

Which implies that our WPML settings are essentially separate for each site in the network and are not shared when it comes to URL formats.

3. You wrote: ":..What I can do is send you a DupPro archive of a fresh test site where I duplicated the problem."

This would be ideal. This would allow me to both confirm your issue and also forward the problem to the correct group if needed. I am opening the private area for this information. Please use a file sharing site to upload the Duplicator archive and only include the link where I can download the package from to a localserver.

4. You wrote. ".I was really happy to find the 'Use directory for default language' as I am keen for my site not to appear English-centric and was glad it would append /en/ just like with any other language. But it seems I can't really use it on a differently-configured multisite until this bug is addressed. Please let me know if there's a fix."

Absolutely. My experience with WPML Multisite has been as you described and, to my knowledge, it was the designed solution.

Thanks for sending the Duplicator package.

March 25, 2019 at 5:56 pm #3457035

Yvette
Supporter

Hi,

I´ll let our sys admin people know that the feature to mark a reply as "private" is not working on client side and only on "WPML Support" side.

I´ve marked your last reply as private and now it is not visible on the forum. Pelase confirm this in case I´m seeing something different from you.

I´m also openign the private area again so that you can provide the login -details for the duplicator package that I will attempt to install now.

Thanks again.

March 26, 2019 at 8:18 am #3460035

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

I was able to install the site network on a local server. I did observe that when viewing the url:
../wp-admin/my-sites.php the generated url for any of the sites took on the format of the "active" dashboard/site.

For example, if WPML was activated, then the sites without WPML were defaulting to using "?lang=en" for other sites that did not have WPML activated. For the sites *with* WPML activated, then the correct URL format was used. (see images)

However, if WPML was not activated, then all sites were defaulting to just the primary domain name which woudl be expected since no rewrite rules would have been triggered in the absence of WPML logic.

So, for me, the only "surprising" behavour is with the way the URL was being constructed for non-WPML sites.

Nevertheless, when I refresh the dashboard after having visited a non-WPML site from within a WPML-active site, the language parameter disappears in the non-WPML site.

Do you agree with the statements/observations I have made?

March 26, 2019 at 12:39 pm #3462353

monicaB-8

wp-admin/my-sites.php and wp-admin/sites.php seem to be generating different URLs.

As you say, with /my-sites.php, WPML-active sites are correctly appended (/en) and non-WPML sites have a "?lang=en". This is not ideal as it looks unprofessional and could confuse users but it doesn't actually affect functionality (can still get to the right page) so a minor issue.

The problem is with /sites.php. All are either appended /en or not depending on the setting on the primary domain site. Since the /en appended page doesn't exist for single language sites, this makes the navigation links useless. This is my main launch point to visit the various subsites so it gets very annoying having to remove /en with every error.

March 26, 2019 at 5:50 pm #3465289

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

So the two screens are being generated by 2 different template files.
My sites : my-sites.php
Sites: class-wp-ms-sites-list-table.php

Each one generates the "Visit" link differently . (see images)

I can open a compatibility ticket about this but since the code is not written by us....I am not sure how quickly or how much we can affect how the "visit" URL is constructed.

I wait for your feedback before I escalate the topic. When you reply, it would be helpful for me to have a description of the context in which this behaviour causes you a problem.

Thank you very mcuh

March 28, 2019 at 4:17 pm #3483681

monicaB-8

I'm not satisfied with your claim that the problem is with WP core. Doesn't the fact that switching WPML on/off changes the links indicate that it is WPML code that is generating those home_urls? My guess would be class-wpml-rewrite-rules-filter.php.

This is not a compatibility issue, WPML is somehow incorrectly generating those home_urls. It seems the filter hasn't been built to check the settings on each site. I've already explained how this causes problems for me. This makes it impossible for me to navigate the site from those links. What's worse is that the wrongly-appended home_urls propagate through the system and show up in other plugins so it makes navigating through the admin menu and other links impossible. This is non-trivial for me and I would rather switch off WPML 'Use directory for default language' even though I am probably one of the few that values this functionality and applauds WPML's non home-language centric approach.

March 28, 2019 at 5:27 pm #3484417

Yvette
Supporter

I completely understand your response. And yes, it may be that the problem is that we are not filtering the two kinds of calls as we should be and that this needs to be corrected.

I fully intend to escalate the issue to our development team, but I really do need a "context" in order to do so in a manner that it will be attended to well.

I will use this as the context: "This is my main launch point to visit the various subsites" unless you state otherwise noting that the option to use the my-sites.php is not acceptable as a "launch point" for some reason.

Do you agree?

Please realise that I am just trying to best present your case so that it is well understood and properly prioritised to our programmers when escalating. Context is obviously considered when prioritising work against other bug-fixes.

Thanks for your cooperation and understanding.

The topic ‘[Closed] NetAdmin Sites list shows lang-by-dir address (/en) even for WPML inactive sites’ is closed to new replies.