This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by katieH-7 11 months, 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
October 19, 2018 at 2:33 pm #2832343

katieH-7

I am trying to:
- add separate domains for the Language URL format for the various languages we have translated. Currently English and Australian English.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
- it is in the admin section behind a login, the main WPML Language settings page
hidden link

I expected to see:
- the options to add domains

Instead, I got:
- nothing happens when I click the radio button for "A different domain per language". There is a spinner next to the Save button for about 3 seconds, and then it disappears. The setting is not maintained after a page refresh.

We never see the option to add domains under the radio button for "A different domain per language". We have followed the steps to point a new domain at the site for the translated site. I have tried in multiple browsers, with extensions disabled and in incognito.

There are no errors in the developer console in the browser. In the network panel, all I see is the "ajax-loader.gif" file get loaded, but no other network calls are made (I was expecting to see an admin-ajax call to the server or something similar.)

I provided an image showing the HTML DOM for the option - it looks like the "icl_lnt_domains_box" div is never being populated with the appropriate options.

October 20, 2018 at 10:11 pm #2834678

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

thank you for the screenshots... that is correct , it looks like the div did not get fully populated.

i am not able to replicate this issue on a clean install , which makes me believe that there is a possibility a 3rd party plugin might be causing some sort of incompatibility with WPML.

you mentioned that there are currently no errors within the console , but if possible i would like to take a look within your error log as well

Go in your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:
define('WP_DEBUG', true);

Edit your wp-config.php file and add these lines, just before it says 'stop editing here':

ini_set('log_errors',TRUE);
ini_set('error_reporting', E_ALL);
ini_set('error_log', dirname(__FILE__) . '/error_log.txt');

This will create an error_log.txt file in your site's root directory. Please send me its contents.

additionally , to test for compatibility issues with 3rd party plugins we recommend testing on a staging/dev environment as that wont interfere with your live site.

NOTE : if you do not currently have a staging/dev environment please let me know and we can test the issue within our testing environments

the following are the recommended steps to check for 3rd party incompatibility issues

-Back up your site first
-Deactivate all non WPML related plugins
-Switch for a moment to a WordPress default theme like Twenty Fourteen.
-If the issue is gone, activate one by one to see with which one there is an interaction issue

Let me know your results please.

October 22, 2018 at 6:28 pm #2839429

katieH-7

It looks like the issue boils down to a plugin that is removing jQuery Migrate. Does the WPML plugin rely on jQuery Migrate being available?

If so, that is not good on the WPML side - your code and plugins should not still be relying on jQuery Migrate.

Once I enable jQuery Migrate it does appear that the WPML plugin works as intended when clicking the "A different domain per language" radio option.

October 22, 2018 at 7:07 pm #2839565

katieH-7

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

I am not happy that WPML appears to still rely on jQuery Migrate, as it is designed to be used only until any requirements on it are removed. And given how long it has been around, I feel that there has been plenty of time to address fixing the issues so that jQuery Migrate can be removed safely.

However, the issue here is resolved now that we are allowing jQuery Migrate to load.