This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
July 31, 2019 at 7:44 am #4312445

michaelC-9

Hi. I had a custom post in english translated to an other language. Everything worked fine.

Now, client asked me to delete the translation of that post and redirect the old link to a new specific link. I did that with htaccess however when i visit the old link it redirects me to the default language of that post (slug is the same).

What can i do to avoid this?

I want site.com/us/custom-post to redirect to site.com/us/achive
Not to site.com/custom-post

July 31, 2019 at 12:34 pm #4314371

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Montevideo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,
Thank you for contacting WPML support.

I understand that you removed a post translation and you are trying to link an archive page to the post in the original language. If this is correct then this is not how WPML is supposed to work, so in this case there is no functionality within WPML to handle this.

If the new post you are trying to link is not an archive then you just need to edit this post -> Go to the Languages block in the right column and use the 'this is a translation of' option.

I also recommend you to re-save the permalink structure and to flush any cache memory that might exists to avoid outdated cache.

Kind regards,
Carlos

July 31, 2019 at 2:37 pm #4315417

michaelC-9

Not exactly.

I had this post: hidden link which is now deleted.

The default language post is available at hidden link

Now that the hidden link is deleted, I want visitors of this link to be redirected to this specific url: hidden link

However what i get is a redirect to the default language post hidden link which is not what i want.

I wrote this rule at htaccess but doesn't seem to work:
Redirect /us/recipe/roast-vegetable-salad-with-violife-mediterranean-style/ /us/recipes-usa/

I have re-saved the permalink structure and flushed cache.

What am i doing wrong?

August 1, 2019 at 9:19 am #4320129

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Montevideo (GMT-03:00)

Hi,
Thank you for your message.

As I said before you are trying to redirect the visitor from a missing page to an archive page. This functionality is not within WPML's scope.

It seems -unfortunately- that for now you need custom programming work which is beyond the scope of our support.

At this point I would suggest you consider contacting one of our certified partners from this link:
http://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-contractors/

Before doing so please have a look also here:
http://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-contractors/guidelines-for-people-looking-for-consulting-help/

You will get the custom assistance you need to get on with your project.

Regards,
Carlos