We have just released WPML 4.3.3. Before reporting issues please make sure to update - this version resolves all known issues with the major WPML 4.3 release

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
April 21, 2019 at 12:12 pm

lindaM-5

I am trying to: translate some strings from the wordpress dashboard

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

I expected to see: the strings translated

Instead, I got: no change- please find screenshot attached

April 22, 2019 at 2:41 pm #3656397

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+02:00)

Hey Linda,

It seems that WordPress dashboard strings are not translated to Faroese. You can see the progress on the translation right here: hidden link

If you want, you can give a hand to the community by adding the translation on the link I attached and after that you'll be able to se it on your website too. This is not related to our plugins but to the WordPress itself.

Thanks,
Radu

April 22, 2019 at 6:03 pm #3657681

lindaM-5

Hey there Radu
thanks for getting back to me so soon. My problem isn't exactly that the strings aren't translated into faroese yet, my problem is that I cannot find the strings in wpml so I can translate them manually. could you perhaps take a look at the site I sent you the login details for? the default wp strings avaiblble do apparently not include the strings that I want to translate from the dashboard
thanks in advance
Linda

April 23, 2019 at 12:10 pm #3663713

Radu
Supporter

Hey Linda,

Here are the steps you need to take in order to translate the admin text:

• go here: hidden link;
  • press the Export link from the bottom of the page to download the PO file for Faroese language;
  • rename the file to fo.po (by default it's wp-5.1.x-fo.po;
  • make the translation using the Poedit app that you can download from here hidden link;
  • save the changes (File → Save). Once you did this, you'll have one more file caled fo.mo
  • copy fo.po and fo.mo to wp-content/languages folder (through FTP).

Please do all these changes, one by one, and the admin text should be different now. I know that it might look a bit complicated but it's actually a pretty straight-forward process. Just give this a try and tell me how things works now.

Thanks,
Radu

April 26, 2019 at 9:43 am #3689311

lindaM-5

Hey there Radu 🙂
thanks, I am all good with Poedit, but my experience is, that when wordpress updates, any translations that I have for the Faroese language get lost, so is there a way to save them - maintain them when wordpress updates?
thanks in advance
Linda

April 26, 2019 at 12:36 pm #3690723

Radu
Supporter

Hey Linda,

I think that when a new version of WordPress is installed, updating of the language files are included too. This means that the existing translation files will be replaces with the ones from WordPress. I think that you can stop this by using the filter mentioned here https://codex.wordpress.org/Configuring_Automatic_Background_Updates#Translation_Updates_via_Filter. Basically, this should stop the translation files to be overwritten when a new update is installed.

Thanks,
Radu

The topic ‘[Closed] not able to translate strings from wordpress default dashboard’ is closed to new replies.