Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by sarah.n 7 years, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: sarah.n.

Author Posts
March 21, 2013 at 2:24 am #113630

Joeri

Hello,

I have a multi language website setup (en/nl/de/fr) with use of the Roots theme. When I clear my browser history and visit the site I get redirected to the right language, but when I visit the site again I am not redirected and stay on the default language (en). Any idea of what is causing this?

Best regards,

Joeri.

March 21, 2013 at 9:09 am #113685

sarah.n
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Hello Joeri,

Can you please provide a link to your site with you next reply?

March 21, 2013 at 9:13 am #113689

Joeri

Hello Sarah,

The site is: hidden link.

Thank you for looking.

Joeri

March 21, 2013 at 10:16 am #113720

sarah.n
Supporter

Joeri,

Thank you for the link.

My browser's language is German so when I visited your site I got redirected to German as expected. I then switched the language to English, browsed around a bit and closed the browser.

When I opened the site again I got redirected to German as expected. It looks fine to me.

March 21, 2013 at 10:30 am #113728

Joeri

Thank you Sarah, that's good to know. Let's hope all other visitors will experience the same.

Is it wise to use the sticky link add-on? I have made several multi language websites but have to say I never used it.

Next to that, I think the settings option for browser redirect is a bit strange. Personally I would always choose for: Always redirect visitors based on browser language (redirect to home page if translations are missing)

Why would someone choose for: Redirect visitors based on browser language only if translations exist.

Don't both options do the same and would'nt it be user un-friendly to get a 404 message if the translation doesn't exists? (I don't know if my last comment is true. I never tested this).

Thank you for your help.

Joeri.

March 21, 2013 at 11:13 am #113751

sarah.n
Supporter

Joeri,

You asked:

Is it wise to use the sticky link add-on?

Whether it is useful or not for a particular project this is for you to decide after reading this: http://wpml.org/tutorials/avoiding-broken-links-using-wpmls-sticky-links/

We use it here at wpml.org with good results.

You also wrote:

Next to that, I think the settings option for browser redirect is a bit strange. Personally I would always choose for: Always redirect visitors based on browser language (redirect to home page if translations are missing)

Why would someone choose for: Redirect visitors based on browser language only if translations exist.

Don't both options do the same and would'nt it be user un-friendly to get a 404 message if the translation doesn't exists?

You will not get a 404 error message because if the translation does not exist you will not be redirected based on the browser language.

It can be a little confusing but if you read them carefully again you may see that the two options are not the same.

In the first instance if a translation is missing your visitors will be redirected to the front page (similar to "Link to home of language for missing translations" under "How to handle languages without translation")

In the second instance, if a translation is missing no redirection will take place and your visitors will get the content in the site's current language.

The topic ‘[Closed] not redirecting (returning visit)’ is closed to new replies.