This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by antonieP-3 3 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Bigul.

Author Posts
June 26, 2019 at 2:06 pm #4093071

antonieP-3

Sorry that I write again, but I spent hours to look for a solution in the support forum...

I am looking for a preset to tell WPML to show the whole main menu including non translated pages - in the default language.

By now in the additional language(s) the main menu shows just the translated sites.

For nearly all components of my site WPML gives me the choice to translate it or use the default one, is there not a corresponding choice option for the main menu?

Thank you very much for your help.

June 26, 2019 at 5:30 pm #4094369

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. I will do my best to help you to resolve these issues. Please let me know the following details to track the issue.

a) Are you trying to display the default language menu(including the not translated page as a menu item) in secondary language?

b) Have you sync/translated the menu to secondary language - hidden link

c) Please share me a couple of screenshots for a better understanding of the issue

--
Thanks!

Bigul

June 26, 2019 at 6:33 pm #4094625

antonieP-3

Hello Bigul,
a) yes. My default site language is German. And I would like to show the "normal German menu" on all other language versions of the page.
b) I did not translate the menu, because I would like to show the German Version all over. Is it the right way to "sync"? The "sync" ist just for the translated pages and gives me the opportunity to translate the menu links. But I don't want to translate anything in my menu, I would just like to show it for all language versions "as it is" in the default language.
c) Did you have a look on the page link I gave when I started the ticket?
Hope you can help me - an please excuse my bad English...

June 27, 2019 at 8:04 am #4097505

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. It will be possible. I have tried with the default theme(2017) in my test installation and it is working fine. Please check the attached images.

So I would like to access the admin area of your site for further checking. Please fill the private details fields after a full site backup.

Please check the following links for more details about our private information sharing policies.

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

hidden link

--
Thanks!

Bigul

June 27, 2019 at 3:16 pm #4101257

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. It looks like a compatibility issue. So please allow me to make a duplicator copy of your site using the Duplicator plugin(https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/) for debugging the issue on my local server.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

June 27, 2019 at 4:18 pm #4101559

antonieP-3

Hallo Bigul. I installed the duplicator plugin and activated it. If I can do something more please let me know. Thank you for your help.
Antonie

June 28, 2019 at 8:04 am #4105337

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates and permission. I made a Duplicator copy of your site now. Will debug it further and get back to you soon. Please wait.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

June 28, 2019 at 2:23 pm #4108413

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

For your kind updates, the issue is existing after the initial debugging steps. But is working fine with default WordPress themes like 2017 or 2019. Please check the attached images.

Therefore it looks like a compatibility issue with your Custom theme. We have limitations here because of the custom coding. I have shared the details with our second tier team for the expert opinion. We will get back to you soon. Please wait.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

June 29, 2019 at 11:15 am #4111467

antonieP-3

Hello Bigul,
thank you very much for your previous efforts. It is absolutely imaginable that it is a theme issue, because I wrote it for myself using the Foundation grid.

Could you please tell me what you did besides changing the theme? I tried to get what you sent me via screenshot, installated the 2017 Theme and activated it, but in the additional language I still can only see the first menu level (it is right that the parent links are not clickable) AND the WPML-widget is also missing. I added a screenshot to the message. Is there anything else to do?

Do you have a suggestion what points I could check in my theme?

Best regards and thank you very much
Antonie

June 29, 2019 at 5:54 pm #4112665

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Antonie,

Thank you for the details. After installing the 2017 theme on my local copy I have deleted the translation of *Hauptmenü* menu for testing. The default language menu is showing for me in Secondary language also.

Then I have added Menu language switcher for language navigation from WPML>>Languages>>Menu language switcher. Please check the attached images for more details.

I am waiting for the expert opinion from our team about this issue. Please share more details about the following for a better understanding.

I wrote it for myself using the Foundation grid.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

July 2, 2019 at 9:03 am #4125151

antonieP-3

Dear Bigul,

thank you very much for your great help and patience.

With your last information I could now reproduce your test with the 2019 and 2017 theme. Then I syndicated the navigation code with my own theme code and "played around" with minimal versions to find my mistake.

Here it was:
In the wp_nav_menu-array I used a wrong 'theme_location' value - but besides WPML the website worked properly, because of an additional 'menu' specification. No I removed the 'menu' specification and set the right value for the 'theme_location' and the problem is resolved. Puuuh. (This is German. In English: I feel very relieved.)

Thank you very much again and all the best for you.
Antonie