This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.65 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 61 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Alejandro 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Alejandro.

Author Posts
March 27, 2019 at 8:41 pm

halvdanW

I am trying to: Complete my translation - All sorts of issues happened after update. Lauren has been helping me with linking translated pages and products that all lost their language ID (French) after update, as well as got unlinked from original version (English). We have (partially) succeeded, though it has left me with a TON of work. It also turned out that WPML has switched all my products to SIMPLE Products, so they all have to be turned back to VARIABLE products. In trying to deal with all of this I have also discovered that on some products (not sure how many yet), WPML has created hundreds of variations. These all seem to be empty without any data, an on at least one product the variations cannot actually be seen though there are 26 pages of them. This obviously greatly slows everything down.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

hidden link
(this product has 376 variations - but there should only be 4)

hidden link
(this product should have 3 variations but it currently has 407 variations - only the last 3 are valid)

I expected to see:

Instead, I got:

March 27, 2019 at 8:43 pm #3475665

halvdanW

I forgot to include these images

March 28, 2019 at 5:09 am #3477073

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

Wow - this sounds like a mess. I wonder what happened to cause all this.

1. I will be helping you with the variations issue in this ticket. Is this ok? Or do you prefer to continue working with Lauren?

2. I went ahead and "cleaned up" these two products. In doing so, I could see that the variations that were non-valid all had creation dates from 2015 and 2016. Does this give you any insight to the situation?

If you have any other products to clean up, please write back with the links and I can see if I see more patterns that might allow us to design a more comprehensive strategy to clean up the database.

Kind regards

March 28, 2019 at 3:49 pm #3483401

halvdanW

Hi Yvette,
Thanks for helping and it doesn't have to be Lauren 🙂
Thanks for cleaning up those items - the fact that the dates are 2015 / 2016 makes zero sense to be honest. I am not sure when i started working on this - its been a work in progress for a while, but that is a LONG time ago. Right up until recently they were fine. They also had all the translations working fine.
I really don't know what may have happened but something obviously did. Everything kinda went pear shaped after an update - either to WP, Woo, or WPML - I honestly can't remember. I am not really a web developer so even though I am generally capable of running a WP site, I don't have the insight and experience, and deeper understanding of a web dev.

I will go through a few more and feed back links. I think there are quite a few products that are likewise afflicted, so I'll get back to you.

Cheers!

March 28, 2019 at 4:30 pm #3483901

Yvette
Supporter

OK!

We´ll be here - just respond when you are ready

March 28, 2019 at 6:33 pm #3484923

halvdanW

Hi there,
So I have been updating furiously and so far most things seem to be OK (except for the fact that I have to do this at all, of course :))

I am currently going through the concrete section and there seems to be no issues there. I haven't gotten to the translations yet. I think there are some different issues there such as not actually seeing the French versions - at least not consistently, but we can look at that later.

Here is a list of issues that I have come across today

Fibreglass Products

Bowl Fountain - (Multiple Variations removed but still slow to refresh when changing variable)

Lisbon - Multiple Variations removed but still slow to refresh when changing variable)

Geo tall Cone - (394 Variations?) - hidden link

Resin products

Accessing the Resin landing page seems to have slowed down dramatically
hidden link

Bowery - It has 310 Variations but only the first and the 13 last are legitimate.
hidden link

Eye - 363 Variations but only the first two are legit
hidden link

Juno - When I try to update this planter it ‘times out’

Madison - This works but just to draw your attention to what happened to it. It has 30 variations but it last the pricing in all but 2 of them 🙁 I will update this info but, you know… a pest.
hidden link

Bleeker - This has 114 variations but only the first 6 are legit
hidden link

March 29, 2019 at 3:53 am #3487405

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

1. Variations
I have continued to clean up the products you sent.

2. Performance
Let´s wait until the system is stable and then open a new inevstigation for this topic

3. Juno (timeout)
Please enable WordPress debug by changing adding this line to our wp-config.php file

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );

This might give more information on why it is timing out

March 29, 2019 at 11:25 am #3490731

halvdanW

Hi
1 - thanks
2 - makes sense (just to be clear - the items you have cleaned up are the ones that seem to be very slow - as if there is something else that is going on. When you select another variation on the front end it kinda goes into slow motion)
3 - that was already enabled.
define('WP_DEBUG', true);
define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

March 29, 2019 at 6:40 pm #3494053

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

Today I was able to update the Juno Planter product without getting a timeout.
Can you confirm that it is the same for you?
Thanks

March 29, 2019 at 6:51 pm #3494147

halvdanW

Hey,
I just went in (and took over from you as you were still logged in / had the Juno product open(?)

I was able to update the Juno no issue. It seems to be perfectly OK now

Thanks

March 29, 2019 at 7:42 pm #3494575

Yvette
Supporter

Great! So, shall we keep this ticket open and you keep sending me the variations that need to be resolved?

Aftewards, we will then address the performance question.

March 29, 2019 at 7:48 pm #3494605

halvdanW

Its a plan!
It will take a bit of time so bear with me. There may be no more but there may be some other issues as I update and fix. I will feed back as I find.
The one are where I anticipate issues is when I link original versions to French translations that have been orphaned. I have to first set their language to FR, and then link. It may be OK but if it is OK with you I would like to keep the ticket open. If we should separate variations from re-linking, let me know. I am fine with that, of course.
Thanks

March 29, 2019 at 9:25 pm #3495141

halvdanW

Here's an odd one. Thi is the blog page - When you look at it both the En & FR versions are showing, and when you go to edit there is nothing.

It is supposed to be two different pages 🙂

hidden link

March 29, 2019 at 10:56 pm #3495369

Yvette
Supporter

I am not sure what you mean.

The "blog" page normally uses a separate theme template to generate its content and so it is very likely that the content of the "page" is blank. (see image).

What I do not see is that this Blog page has any translation associated with it so I am not sure how you are seeing any FR content.

Normally, the Blog page would be translated and the translated "page" would also be using the blog template.

March 29, 2019 at 11:25 pm #3495409

halvdanW

OK, I see what you are saying re the blog template. The luddite in me rears its ignorant head!
I found the posts and all I had to do was change the language pdf the french entry to FR and it disappeared from the English blog post. Once I had changed the language the page kind of 'auto updates'. When I then tried to Update the page it said 'Update failed'. I am not sure why that happens, but bottom line is that it seems to be working. So Thanks again!

The topic ‘[Closed] Odd behaviour after update’ is closed to new replies.