If you are having a notice about writing the .mo files please read this doc

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bigul 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bigul.

Author Posts
August 14, 2019 at 10:06 am #4394025

paolo

Hi,

I need to make a website, which will initially be strictly in Italian (the template is in English). Next, I want it to become multilingual and I need to know, what are the steps to take, to avoid mistakes (happened in the past). To do this I need to know:
- how to deal with the basic settings;
- Do I need to duplicate the pages already existing in English for the Italian version? And if the content in Italian will eventually be modified, then will I have to re-duplicate the modified page again (the one in Italian) to translate it into another language?
- how precisely should I duplicate the pages, since I always have doubts, given that will be offered (if I'm not mistaken) at least two options to do so?
- how to deal with images? For SEO, it may be better to have it translated into other languages. Will this result in the creation of a duplicate of this image (which in the end, in the case of many images could create space problems and the consequent slowing of the site)?
- is it possible not to show the existence of another language, hiding / not showing the switcher / language list / flags? How can I do this in order to not to lose the possibility of having these options in the future?
- what problems I might encounter, if I used a site, which in theory does not support WPML, but it seems that whoever uses this template says that it works and the creator says it is 90% compatible. Unfortunately it is the template, which more closely reflects our requests, but I'm afraid, that in the future it could create problems for us.

I know, these are very simple questions in theory, but in the past I have already encountered problems trying to follow your instructions and I would like to avoid that this happens again, especially since it is a very complex site and a long job, where it is unthinkable to make mistakes of this type and then, in the future is not possible do it again correctly.

Is there an example, a manual, some very precise instructions or a track to follow step by step to get exactly the results I envisaged?

Forgive my ignorance, but I prefer to go through the ignorant rather than making mistakes again in this sense, which could cost me precious time and a lot of stress.

Thank you in advance for your invaluable help and understanding.

August 14, 2019 at 6:44 pm #4397069

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. I will do my best to help you to resolve these issues.

You have not installed WPML on your site yet. The pages and posts are in English now. But you want the default language as Italian, am I right?

If so, you can try the following steps after a full site backup. Please check it and let me know your feedback.

1) Choose Italian as the default language and English as the secondary language while configuring WPML
2) Install WPML Media Translation plugin. It will help you to sync the media to secondary languages
3) Duplicate the Pages and Posts to English
4) Open the English Posts and Pages(the duplicated ones) for edit
5) Click on *Translate Independently* button of Language Widget. Otherwise, when we edit the Italian pages the default English contents will loose.
6) Then visit WPML>>Languages>>Hide languages and Hide the English language

--
Thanks!

Bigul

August 15, 2019 at 5:59 pm #4402819

paolo

Hi,
Thank you for your response.
I will put your suggestions into practice as soon as possible. I would need to know, however, also another thing: is it possible to export the translations, once done, to another site so as not to have to repeat the translations again for a new site? This would be a way to save valuable time.
Thanks

August 16, 2019 at 12:26 pm #4406239

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. There are limitations to export & import the translations from one site to another. Because of the translation relationships.

Most probably it will be possible to export the Posts from a specific language with *WP All Export* plugin. Please check the following documentation for more details.

https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/export-multilingual-websites-using-wp-all-export-wpml/

--
Thanks!

Bigul

The topic ‘[Closed] One language website that in the future must be trasformed in multilingual’ is closed to new replies.