This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Menu auto scroll with a one-page theme is not working with Chinese characters.

Solution: From the client's description, I can assume that the menu is using the Visual Composer section name to implement this by inserting the name into the data-name attribute of the Div element to target. And what happens with Chinese characters is that they are encoded, and it is not working. The client's workaround is to use English characters for the Chinese section's name. Then it works.

Relevant Documentation:

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by ernestC-2 1 year, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
May 21, 2018 at 3:27 pm

ernestC-2

Dear Sir/Madam,

On my front page of my Chinese page, I am trying to make a one page scroll menu as with my English page. However, after I've change the section names at my Chinese homepage within Visual Composer, the menu doesn't direct to the section I desire (it just doesn't response), however, the side bar works. Please help.

Kind regards,

Ernest

May 22, 2018 at 5:40 pm #2210854

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

Thank you for contacting the WPML support forum.

How can I see the issue on your site?
I ask this because currently if I go here hidden link for example, I get 'Nothing Found' so naturally if you press a menu item nothing will happen.
Please see attached screenshot.

Thanks,
Itamar.

May 23, 2018 at 4:32 am #2212669

ernestC-2

Dear Itamar,

Now I have changed the Chinese Traditional homepage to hidden link, however, in the menu bar when I select hidden link, it doesn't jump to the corresponding option like the English page does.

The side bar works fine in this regard.

Kind regards,

Ernest

May 23, 2018 at 8:05 pm #2218297

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thanks for the extra details.

I've continued to check things on your site, and I think that this issue is not related to WPML.
I'll explain why I think so.
The menu is targeting the data-name attribute of the corresponding Div element.
And because it is Chinese characters, it is encoded in the data-name like so.

data-name="%e5%84%aa%e9%bb%9e"

Please see attached screenshot.
As I said, I think that this issue is related to the Chinese characters and not to an issue that is caused by WPML.
Can you please check if the issue persists when you temporarily set the Chinese language to be the default language of the site and deactivate WPML?
If the issue persists then, in my opinion, it will prove that the issue is with the Chinese characters and you will need to get support on this from your theme or plugin's developers.

**** Important! Please make a full site backup (files and DB) before you proceed with those steps****

Please let me know the results of your test.

Thanks,
Itamar.

May 24, 2018 at 7:48 am #2220113

ernestC-2

Hi Itamar, thank you for your support. Yes, the Chinese characters seem not working on the URL. It is fine as long as I change it back to English.