This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Rajeeb Banstola 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Rajeeb Banstola.

Author Posts
June 3, 2019 at 8:23 pm #3945997

jacquesC-4

I am trying to: translate site/Onepress to french

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:homepage in french

I expected to see: only french text

Instead, I got: mixed french and english

June 4, 2019 at 12:42 am #3946675

Rajeeb Banstola

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML. I would need more details in order to find the issue.

1. Increase WP Memory Limit to 256M. It is currently set to 40M. You can find more details on minimum requirement for running WPML on the link below:

https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

Couple of questions below will help us understand your issue better.

2. Did you duplicate the page from another language to French?

3. Are you using any pagebuilder plugin to design the page? How are you translating the content?

4. Does this still happen when you switch to a default theme like TwentySeventeen? ( This will help us make sure it is not a theme compatibility issue)

Please go through #1 and see if that fixes the issue. If not, go through other steps and let us know the update.

June 5, 2019 at 3:49 pm #3962547

jacquesC-4

Hi Rajeeb,
Thanks for your answer.

I have increased the memory to 256. Very sorry for missing that one...

It's actually not a problem with pages but rather the sections in the Onepress theme (Hero and others)

No plugins are used to design the page.

I am using the string translation menu in WPML to translate the Onepress frontpage content.

If I switch the theme to TwentySeventeen it doesn't have these specific sections that are included in Onepress so I can't really test.

We are not having issues with the standard page translations.

June 5, 2019 at 10:02 pm #3964353

Rajeeb Banstola

Hi,

Thank you for providing more details.

That is actually the expected behavior. When you modify the original content, WPML doesn't know if the old translations are still valid, so it is removed.

Let me know if you have any questions for me.

June 5, 2019 at 11:21 pm #3964483

jacquesC-4

Thanks Rajeeb,

I do understand per translation but is it normal that all the theme (section titles not pages) translations are removed?

June 6, 2019 at 2:53 am #3965379

Rajeeb Banstola

Hi,

If you changed the theme's section titles in original language, then it is normal to get them removed. However, it could also be possible that those translations were removed due to things like memory issue.

Please check and let me know if you face the issue again.

June 7, 2019 at 5:50 pm #3978257

jacquesC-4

Hi Rajeeb,

I added a picture to the team section (without changing anything else) and all translations have been lost.

June 7, 2019 at 9:19 pm #3979119

Rajeeb Banstola

Hi,

OnePress is listed on your WPML Compatible Theme List. So, it should be working fine.
https://wpml.org/theme/onepress/

I would like you to try a couple of things to identify the issue.

First, I see your WP Memory Limit is set to 40M. Please follow the instructions to increase memory limit to 256M.

- Search for wp-config.php in your WordPress installation
- Add the given code just before the line that says ‘That’s all, stop editing! Happy blogging.’

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

Let me know if this resolves the issue!

June 7, 2019 at 9:37 pm #3979149

jacquesC-4

Hi Rajeeb,

I increased the memory after your first message.

June 7, 2019 at 10:09 pm #3979163

Rajeeb Banstola

Hi,

I'd like to have you try a few things so we can try to isolate the issue. This is just to help me identify if it might be a conflict with another plugin or theme that is causing the problem.

IMPORTANT: Please backup a working copy of site files and database before continuing.

Update all WPML plugins & WordPress core.

Disable all plugins except WPML and see if that fixes the issue. If it doesn't please proceed below:

Make a snapshot of your site using the Duplicator plugin:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/.

This will allow me to set up your site locally and run these tests for you.

Once the snapshot is complete, either upload the snapshot ZIP file and the installer.php file to a file sharing service such as Dropbox (and share the link in your reply) or right click the Duplicator links in your wp-admin and paste in your reply. I will also need the username and password of a user that was created before the duplicator package was created.

Please note: It is important to reduce the size of the package so please exclude some paths like /cache or /uploads and also exclude archives and media files.

I will enable the next reply to be private so only you and I have access to it. Thanks!

The topic ‘[Closed] OnePress translations are lost when original content in English is modified’ is closed to new replies.