This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 29 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Marcel 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcel.

Author Posts
July 11, 2019 at 12:21 pm #4189671

melanieW-7

Tell us what you are trying to do? I am trying to get an exact copy of the Dutch homepage in English. However, 2 problems arise. Not all text blocks are recognized by WPML for translation (see attachment 1). Also, some blocks, like the entire main banner of the home page is not displayed on the example of the translated page (see attachment 2).

Is there any documentation that you are following? No

Is there a similar example that we can see? See attached.

What is the link to your site? hidden link

July 11, 2019 at 5:11 pm #4192183

Marcel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi Melanie,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support.

I tried to open the English translation, but it's opening the Blog page. I will need to check if all elements are configured to be translatable. For this, I would need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site
– preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible –
in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed

Your next answer will be private which means only you and I have access to it.

❌ Please backup your database and website ❌

✙ I would additionally need your permission to de-activate and re-activate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site. This is also a reason the backup is really important.

Best Marcel

July 17, 2019 at 8:27 am #4227417

melanieW-7

Hi Marcel,

Sorry for my late reply, I am back to work and reachable again.

Is is also an option to send you the back-up file so you can check in there - or do you need the copy/test website? If the letter, I'll ask my developer to prepare it and will be back in a few days. If the first, I can send it to you right away.

Please advice.

With best regards,
Melanie

July 17, 2019 at 10:14 am #4228571

Marcel
Supporter

Hi Melanie,

no problem. You can send me also Duplicator package or I can setup a Cloudways installation where you can migrate the site over a plugin. As you wish 🙂

With Cloudways I can help you faster, as I don't need to install anything.

Please let me know.

Best Marcel

July 17, 2019 at 10:22 am #4228641

melanieW-7

Hi Marcel,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Let's go with the Cloudways option - will you send me the instructions?

Thank you,
Melanie

July 18, 2019 at 7:28 am #4235663

Marcel
Supporter

Hi Melanie,

now it's working.

#1 Please open your Start page in NL and scroll down to "Specifieke velden" and set all header fields to Translate" (or Styling settings to Copy)
#2 Then please update and finish the English translation to 100%. All necessary fields are now available in the Translation Editor.

Best Marcel

July 18, 2019 at 11:15 am #4237947

melanieW-7

Wow, this looks like it, thank you Marcel!

I will start working with it - let's leave the thread open for a few days in case I stumble upon something, if that's ok with you.

Best, Melanie

July 18, 2019 at 11:17 am #4237959

Marcel
Supporter

Sure, you can mark it as solved. Otherwise, it will stay open for around 14 days.

Best Marcel

July 19, 2019 at 2:24 pm #4246977

melanieW-7

Hi Marcel,

I've just started working on it and am confused about the following:
#1 Please open your Start page in NL and scroll down to "Specifieke velden" and set all header fields to Translate" (or Styling settings to Copy)

How do I recognize styling settings vs 'header fields'? There are a lot of fields that include the word 'header', but seem like style elements. Could you please advice how to choose between Copy or Translate in such a long list?

Many thanks,
Melanie

July 19, 2019 at 2:54 pm #4247059

Marcel
Supporter

HI Melanie,

This depends on the Theme. In my test I set all to Translate as I don't have any information which is the correct one. I would recommend you to set all to Translate and then contact the Theme detailed information about the fields to change them back to keep the Translation Editor clean.

hidden link

Best Marcel

July 25, 2019 at 5:33 pm #4285381

Marcel
Supporter

Hi Melanie,

now the header was working after refreshing the EN translation.

The "Inzichten en inspiratie" & "GROW Channel & GROW Blog" where custom elements from your Theme. I had to add an XML-config to make this content translatable for WPML.

<wpml-config>
    <shortcodes>
        <shortcode>
            <tag>agni_section_heading</tag>
            <attributes>
                <attribute>heading</attribute>
                <attribute>sub_heading</attribute>
            </attributes>
        </shortcode>
    </shortcodes>
</wpml-config>

As you see also the Main header was actually not translatable. It's showing English on the Dutch page 🙂

You need to add this now to your live site as described here:

https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/page-builders/how-to-register-page-builder-modules-and-theme-options/

Now you will find the text here: hidden link

Best Marcel

July 29, 2019 at 9:53 am #4298499

melanieW-7

Hi Marcel,
Thank you so much - this helps.
I think I can manage for the next blocks. I'll try these days and will let you know if I stumble on any more problems.
Have a good day!!
Melanie

July 29, 2019 at 9:59 am #4298519

Marcel
Supporter

Hi Melanie,

sure, just let me know if you need any help 🙂

Have a good day, too.

Best Marcel

August 2, 2019 at 7:41 am #4327751

melanieW-7

Hello Marcel,
I'm working on the translations and am trying to get the hang of it.
Can you check one thing with me? Let's take Insights and inspiration and My name is Melanie as examples: I've translated these, but they don't appear on the front-end. Is there something I need to refresh?
In addition, could you mark our entire conversation as private? There's a lot of details in the posts.
Thank you, again,
Melanie

August 2, 2019 at 8:19 am #4327955

melanieW-7

Hi Marcel,
In addition to my previous message: how do I make sure the homepage main banner title and subtitle translate both to English and Dutch on the live site (not test)? I can't find that you fixed this in the XML Shortcode right?
-----> "As you see also the Main header was actually not translatable. It's showing English on the Dutch page 🙂"