This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I am looking for RTL option if I select Arabic language which is not there I expected to see language support of Arabic must have RTL option Instead, I got no RTL option if I have customization by local developer.

Solution: The WPML is helping with the functionality part but the issue in this case is actually the styling which is not controlled by us. The support for RTL needs to be added by the theme or by the user that added the custom CSS.

The RTL support is not added by WPML because it involves knowing the whole styling structure of the theme. This is why, the theme author is the only one that can help with this kind of change. Having the direction set on the website helps the theme load the style for RTL, when this is available.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
September 12, 2019 at 1:59 pm #4561493

mohamedB-14

I am trying to: I am looking for RTL option if I select Arabic language which is not there

I expected to see: For language support of Arabic must have RTL option

Instead, I got: No RTL option if I have customization by local developer. I don't wanna pay for RTL again.

September 13, 2019 at 8:38 am #4566603

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey Mohamed,

Thank you for reaching out the WPML support!

I just had a look at your website and I couldn't find the Arabic language on it. Can you tell me if you deactivated it or if there's anything I should do in order to see it, please?

Usually, when you select the Arabic language of your website, all the elements should change to RTL automatically. However, the theme that you're using should offer support for RTL. WPML is just "saying" to the website that the current language is RTL but the style of all the elements is still coming from the theme and that's why this is the one that needs to support RTL.

Thanks,
Radu

September 13, 2019 at 11:21 pm #4570977

mohamedB-14

Hello Radu:

Thanks for your reply.
I have activated Arabic which you can find bottom of footer [Just put there so that no visitor can see :)]
When I inspect element from browser, I can see after enabling Arabic, it is showing HTML tag element as 'ar' & dir = RTL which basically theme is doing also but as we have many customization with no custom RTL css & inline css.
That's the reason may be not showing RTL. My developer not supporting on this now can you suggest what can I do in this case? Basically I opted for WPML in this hope that I can get RTL + Translation at a time. I even know its not of WPML issue but your suggestion can help me a lot!

Appreciate in advance!

September 16, 2019 at 8:17 am #4577333

mohamedB-14

Hello

Can anyone please help me out?

September 16, 2019 at 9:13 am #4577809

Radu
Supporter

Hey Mohamed,

We are not available during weekends but not that is Monday, I'm back here 🙂

I tried to look for a way to help you with this but I couldn't find anything that might help. The WPML is helping with the functionality part but the issue in this case is actually the styling which is not controlled by us. The support for RTL needs to be added by the theme or by the user that added the custom CSS.

The RTL support is not added by WPML because it involves knowing the whole styling structure of the theme. This is why, the theme author is the only one that can help with this kind of change. Having the direction set on the website helps the theme load the style for RTL, when this is available.

Thanks,
Radu

September 16, 2019 at 12:55 pm #4580263

mohamedB-14

Hello Radu
Thanks for your reply.

Basically, the RTL is related with the Arabic like languages. Though it is not available in WPML as of now but I will highly recommend to include this function because just translating to Arabic like language do not serve the objective of the end user like me.

When I opted for WPML, I was quite sure this functionality will be available in WPML ut disappointed to know that it is not available so intent is lost. Normal language translation can be done by any normal plugin or manually duplicating post/pages.

Anyhow!
Thanks for your support.

September 18, 2019 at 4:36 am #4592431

Radu
Supporter

Hey Mohamed,

Each theme has its own structure (markup and CSS classes). Adding the styling for RTL to a theme involves knowing how the styling of the theme works (what are the classes and how are they working). Having this included inside WPML would mean that the plugin has the styling for all the themes that are compatible with it (and there are a lot).

This is why the theme is the one that needs to add support for RTL. WPML is just adding a few elements to "trigger" the theme load the RTL styling, but cannot just add it for the theme (since this is theme job).

Regards,
Radu