This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by davidN-51 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
August 15, 2019 at 6:52 pm #4403063

davidN-51

Tell us what you are trying to do?

Hi there. I have done the first stage of setup, and now want to translate my pages built with the WPBakery page builder. However when I go to translate them, I have to start building the page from scratch. Is this because I am on the basic package and need to upgrade?

UPDATE - I have just upgraded and gone back to my site. When I click the "+" sign to translate my home page into German, once again I have to start translating from scratch and none of the page elements I have built on the English side have been duplicated. How can I resolve this?

I also have now 4 plugins from WPML now when I wanted to keep my site as lightweight as possible. It is rather excessive having 4 plugins just for this. Can I remove any / disable any once the site is translated? I also notice it is suggesting I need to get a fifth plugin for "WooCommerce Multilingial". So 5 plugins in total.

August 16, 2019 at 1:54 pm #4406725

davidN-51

UPDATE: I found out the issue and now can translate the pages!
However can you pelase reply to me on what plugins I can deactivate once the site translation in mainly finished?

August 16, 2019 at 3:11 pm #4407221

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

I am glad to hear that the WP Bakery content translation issue has been solved! 🙂

I don't have any debug information from your site for the moment so I don't know what are all the plugins from us that you are using but each of our plugins are bringing custom functionality so as long as you would like to use the functionality that each plugin comes with, you would need to have that plugin enabled.

I hope that this answers your question.

If you still need help or have questions about this topic, please don't hesitate to get back to me.

I am happy to help 🙂

PS: Just a note that I won't be working on the weekend so I will be able to get back to you at the beginning of next week.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

August 16, 2019 at 3:28 pm #4407271

davidN-51

Thanks fo the reply.

I am using: WooCOmmerce Multilingual, WPML Media, WPML Multilingual CMS, WPML String Translation, WPML Translation Management

I undertsand that they all help us translate different aspects of the site, but my question is whether we can disable these plugins after we have finished translating the site, or which ones can we disable? Will all the translations stay visible front-end if we disable some of these plugins.

I am just trying to remove any unnessesary plugins to help speed up site load times. We require 4 of your plugins, which is a lot and a shame you could not have bundled these in one plugin or 2 maximum.

Thanks

August 16, 2019 at 4:12 pm #4407525

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

The "Media" plugin is only necessary if you want to have different images in each language.

I am afraid the rest plugins are required. The plugins are bundled separately so that you can disable a chunk of functionality when you don't need it, but in this case, you need them.

Regarding the performance topic, there will be a new update coming up for WPML String Translation that will improve the speed but I don't have an exact date for when will that happen.

Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding this topic.

PS: Just a note that I won't be working on the weekend so I will be able to get back to you at the beginning of next week.

Kind regards,
Mihai

August 16, 2019 at 4:26 pm #4407573

davidN-51

Thanks for your reply.

The media plugin, well is there any way to use just oen image for all my language version but change the alt text for eqach language? Taht way I only need one image but can have the alt text in all 3 languages. That would make far more sense.

August 19, 2019 at 4:06 pm #4417389

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi and thank you for your patience.

Unfortunately, there is no way to do that if you don't use the Media plugin because that is what allows you to translate the media file and/or it's attributes.

I hope that this answers your question.

Kind regards,
Mihai

August 23, 2019 at 8:56 am #4445549

davidN-51

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!