Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.4 before reporting any issue

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 23 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
July 13, 2019 at 5:13 pm #4203851

robertR-45

I am trying to: translate a page from English to Spanish.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: the Spanish version of the having the same layout as the English version of the page.

Instead, I got: the Spanish text was there but the layout was different with items missing (eg, no Revslider, images not showing, alignment off).

July 15, 2019 at 10:26 am #4209801

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+01:00)

Hello

It seems that htese particular elements are not well integrated with the Translation Editor. I would suggest that you not use the editor to translate the elements.

In this case your workflow would be as follows:

1. Create a DUPLICATE of the English version to Spanish
2. Turn off the Tranlsation Editor
3. Translate "independently" the Spanish version using the Cornerstone Editor. You will need to translate each element within the Cornerstone editor

I did this on the HOme page and managed to get the cards to translated ok.
For the "Ceremony" page, you will need to retranslate the existing elements within Cornerstone.

I hope this meets your needs.

July 15, 2019 at 3:27 pm #4212789

robertR-45

Hi Yvette,

Thanks for the support here but afraid I'm not 100% clear on what to do (and, as I'm not familiar with WPML or Cornerstone don't want to run the risk of making the problem worse).

When you say create a duplicate, are you saying to clone out the existing English page?
To turn off the translation editor, does that have to be done on each page that gets cloned out?

With regards to the homepage edits that you made it seems like the menus are now not correctly synced.

The edits which were made to one of the cards on the homepage for example was for the card which had to be removed (if you check the English version of the homepage there are only 2 cards there now).

The "Inicio" homepage which had been created is no longer there now.

Hope you can help here as I'm more confused than before as am not sure what has happened to result in menus being different.

Many thanks for the help.

Rob

July 15, 2019 at 3:38 pm #4212997

robertR-45

Hi Yvette,

And, just another quick follow up as have been trying to figure out what is happening.

I think I have a better understanding now as see that the homepage can be edited via the Conernstone Builder to edit the Spanish version of it.

With this approach am I correct in saying that the internal links then have to be hardcoded to link to the correct Spanish version of the site?

Eg, on the homepage card for the main ceremony the english link is to /ceremony/ but the default Spanish URL of /ceremony/?lang=es gives a 404. Hardcoding the link in the Spanish version of the homepage to /boda/ works.

Is this the correct way to do it?

Many thanks for the help here.

All the best,
Rob

July 15, 2019 at 3:54 pm #4213121

robertR-45

Hi Yvette,

And, just another quick follow up as I think we are making progress. However there seems to be an issue with the translated version of the homepage - the cards have a formatting error in the Spanish version.

Sorry for the all the follow up emails here but hope we are nearly there now 🙂

All the best,
Rob

July 15, 2019 at 5:10 pm #4213679

robertR-45

Hi Yvette,

And, again, sorry for the mails but just chiming in again as have another translation related question. We are translating the Gravity Form now, and all has pretty much translated fine, however we can't seem to edit the layout of the confirmation emails.

I have two images attached now which show the formatting of the English one compared to the Spanish one.

Ideally would like to be able to format the Spanish version to look like the English (putting in </br> didn't seem to help) so just wondering if this can done?

If not it's no big deal but if it can be done that would be the ideal.

All the best,
Rob

July 16, 2019 at 9:47 am #4218419

Yvette
Supporter

Hi there

I´m a bit lost on where you are currently at with the translation process. Here are some of my feedback to your previous comments that you may have already discovered "on your own".

1. Toggling the editor
You can toggle the WPML editor (Classic or Advanced) at the page, post type, or site wide level.

2. WPML Duplicating
WPML "Duplicating" is the checkbox that appears in the "Languages" sidebar when entering the wordpress editor. It appears beside the target language label. It is NOT the same as creating a "clone". It is a term that we use to indicate that a post-id is created in the target language but all the content and post.meta is being read from the original post/language version.

3. Menu Synchronization
This is ususally done separately from post/page content translation. You can use the WPML > Menu Sync tool.

If you have further issues on this please let me know. I would first translate all my content (pages/posts/sliders...etc) and then do the menus as a last step.

4. Internal Links
YES, you will have to translate these manually within the Cornerstone Editor. In general, if an element attribute (e.g. link, style, class...etc) does not appear for translation within the WPML editor(s), then you are advised to switch the editor off to then adjust/translate the attribute manually within the pagebuilder editor you are using. In your case, this is Cornerstone.

5. Confirmation Emails
this depends where the formatting of the content is happenig? Is this a plugin/theme option? IS this done in PHP template? I would need more info.

Have I answered your questions?
What is the immediate focus of our work right now?

July 16, 2019 at 11:48 am #4219865

robertR-45

Hi Yvette,

Thanks for the mail and info.

It seems like we are nearly over the line with the site now with translations seemingly working (even though we may have strayed from the optimum way of implementing).

With regards to the confirmation emails they are sent via Gravity Forms. Within Gravity Forms there is a rich editor which allows to add line breaks etc however in the translated version the line breaks get lost.

If we can tweak that that would be ideal and it is pretty much the only item remaining now. If it can't be edited though won't lose any sleep over it 🙂

Once again, many thanks for your help here, appreciate it.

All the best,
Rob

July 16, 2019 at 1:29 pm #4220441

Yvette
Supporter

Hmmm - do you mean that the email is not looking like the "HTML" view in the String Translation table (see image)?

Do you have a screenshot of the email that is sent and what it looks like?

Thanks

July 16, 2019 at 3:56 pm #4222035

robertR-45

Hi Yvette,

Yes, initially when the emails were being sent all the text was just on one line in the translated version. In the English version there were line breaks, images attached again.

Although, having tested now it seems like you've got it sorted.

But, hopefully last question, where/how do I edit it via "String Translation"? Have a screenshot of what I see on that page attached.

And, again, sorry for all the questions here - first time using WPML.

All the best,
Rob

July 16, 2019 at 4:21 pm #4222253

robertR-45

Hi Yvette,

Sorry for the follow up again but just one other item to resolve.

Need to translate the cookie notice. Have followed the guide here:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/translate-cookie-notice-by-dfactory/
- to try translate the cookie notice however it doesn't seem to be working.

Have a screenshot attached showing the String Translation section for that plugin.

As always, many thanks for the help.

All the best,
Rob

July 17, 2019 at 9:35 am #4228263

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

There were several instances of the same string - please see mage of which string you should be translating.

I hope this resolves you case. If you have any further questions, please open a new ticket on the forum as we have drifted from the original thread problem and we try to keep each forum message limited to a single topic.

Thanks

July 22, 2019 at 10:54 am #4256335

robertR-45

Hi Yvette,

Many thanks for that and think we are sorted now. Hopefully will be able to get it all launch ready now without having to ask you any more questions but really do appreciate the support.

All the best,
Rob

July 22, 2019 at 11:59 am #4256865

Yvette
Supporter

Ok.

If you encounter any other issues, please open a new ticket on the forum providing system access and a working example that illustrates the problem.

I or any of my colleagues can then get straight to trying to provide a solution. For now, we can close this ticket.

July 25, 2019 at 4:35 pm #4285189

robertR-45

Hi Yvette,

Sorry for the follow up here but, after thinking I had an understanding how WPML worked, it's obvious I still don't.

We just need to translate this page here:
hidden link

Into Spanish here:
hidden link

However we can't seem to find where/how to make edits to the Spanish version.

We have tried to make them from here:
hidden link
- but it doesn't seem to work.

Similarly, we can't edit them from here:
hidden link
- as we get a warning and when trying to edit using Cornerstone the entire page is blank.

How or where should we go to edit that page? For whatever reason it seems to be different to the other pages as we were able to edit them via Cornerstone.

The logins which were set up previously are still working and any support here is big time appreciated. It's hopefully the final hurdle.

Many thanks,
Rob