Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.4 before reporting any issue

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bigul 5 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Bigul.

Author Posts
May 31, 2019 at 5:28 pm

katieW-3

We have an issue where in the menu editor (hidden link) we edit say the German Homepage Toolbar menu, and add some classes in for the Page links we dragged in.

But the Support page link also exists in the Secondary Menu and its picking up the classes!!

We didn't do this, it's just doing it, I am aware there is a WPML Menu Sync but we haven't gone ahead with it, and it's only me working on the site so I would know if I pasted classes into the wrong menu.

It seems they are linked in some way.

June 1, 2019 at 7:11 am #3934389

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. I will do my best to help you to resolve these issues.

Please check the attached images. I have removed the *in__icon in__icon-support* class for *Support* menu item from *Secondary menu (DE)* menu. Then it is showing the expected result for me.

*in__icon in__icon-support* class is automatically added to *Support* menu item, am I right?

--
Thanks!

Bigul

June 3, 2019 at 7:43 am #3939863

katieW-3

Hello,

yes that is correct, we can remove the classes as we don't want them, but when we remove the classes from *Secondary Menu (DE)*, it also removes the classes from another menu which has a link to the Support page, look at the *Homepage Toolbar DE* - you will see if you remove the classes from the Support page link on the *Secondary Menu DE* it also removes them from the Support page link on the *Homepage Toolbar DE*.

We don't want this to happen and urgently need to fix this as the site is meant to be going to the customer today to be approved for go live.

Vicky

June 3, 2019 at 4:04 pm #3944083

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Vicky,

Thank you for the updates and the issue reproducible. But I have a doubt. How you are managing the *Homepage Toolbar* menu? Because it is not set in Menu>>Manage Locations.

Please try the following troubleshooting steps after a site backup and make sure you are getting the expected result or not.

1) Go to WPML>>Support page

2) Click on Troubleshooting link (blue link in the middle of the page)

3) In Troubleshooting page, please click on the following options of the *Clean up* section. Wait for confirmation of processing after each one.

- Clear the cache in WPML
- Remove ghost entries from the translation tables
- Fix element_type collation
- Set language information
- Fix WPML tables collation
- Assign translation status to duplicated content
- Fix terms count
- Fix post type assignment
- Recreate ST DB cache tables

4) Then add the *in__icon in__icon-support* class for *Support* menu item of *Homepage Toolbar DE* menu

--
Thanks!

Bigul

June 3, 2019 at 4:11 pm #3944219

katieW-3

Thanks Bigul,

Ok, we will have to try those steps tomorrow first thing, but the Homepage Toolbar in the menus is not a location, it's just the name of one of our menus (see screenshot.)

Vicky

June 4, 2019 at 7:09 am #3948593

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Vicky,

Thank you for the updates. I mean in which Page/section you are listing *Homepage Toolbar* menu and are you displaying it programmatically. Because the header looks same in all the pages and it uses *Product Menu* & *Secondary Menu*.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

June 4, 2019 at 8:17 am #3949127

katieW-3

We use Divi so the menu is pulled into a Divi Fullwidth Menu module, which is a nice wrapper for wp_nav_menu as I understand it.

June 4, 2019 at 5:36 pm #3954183

katieW-3

Hello Bigul,

I finally got a backup and tried that but sadly still have the same problem.

So for example, the US had a problem with these menus:

hidden link

* Homepage Toolbar US *
and
*Latest Section Menu US *

These are pulled in using Divi.

The Homepage Toolbar US has a Latest News item that should have classes in, which are "in__icon in__icon-news" - so I added these, and there was erroneously an 'All' menu item here which I removed.

Now when you look at the homepage in the US here:

hidden link

The bottom blue strip with 5 icons looks as it should.

However, the Latest Section Menu which should be displayed here:
hidden link

Has now lost its 'All' link and the 'Latest News' link has adopted the classes.

So no change.

It seems that there is something sychronising these links.

Vicky

June 5, 2019 at 6:57 am #3957677

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Vicky,

Thank you for the feedback. I have a couple of requests to track the issue.

1) Maybe you are facing this issue because of compatibility conflicts. So to make sure if possible, please do the following steps.

a) Backup your site first
b) Switch for a moment to a WordPress default theme like 2017
c) Deactivate all the plugins that are not related to WPML
d) If the issue is gone, activate the plugin one by one to see with which one there is an interaction issue

2) If the issue exists, please share with me the WordPress debug.log (not WPML debug information) for more details.

Please check this page for instructions https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/

To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

// Disable display of errors and warnings 
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
@ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

// Use dev versions of core JS and CSS files (only needed if you are modifying these core files)
define( 'SCRIPT_DEBUG', true );

In this case, the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the */wp-content/* directory. Please do the steps to reproduce the bug and check you are getting any errors or warning related to WPML in the log file.

If you can paste your debug.log to http://pastebin.com/index.php and provide me that link it would be great! (This is the cleanest way because sometimes the logs are long and create a complete mess of discussion).

--
Thanks!

Bigul

June 7, 2019 at 2:17 pm #3976989

katieW-3

Hi Bigul,

Thanks for the help, in the end we disabled all but the essential WPML plugins and still had the problem.

However in trying to see if with the plugins disabled we could add menus successfully to replace the ones that were sychronising somehow, we deleted the Latest News items from Homepage Toolbar menu and Latest section menu, and added them from scratch again, and it worked!

We then gradually re-enabled plugins and was able to sort this issue out.

I don't know how items like Latest news had ended up sychronising over these menu items but the problem has not gone away.

Vicky

June 10, 2019 at 2:13 am #3984463

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Vicky,

Thank you for the feedback. I will check about this with our team and get back to you soon. Please wait.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

June 10, 2019 at 1:35 pm #3987743

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Vicky,

This may be a sync issue. Because the menu class is post meta and menu items are posts. If you had the issue again, please try the following steps and check is there any difference in the result.

a) Unassign the secondary menu
b) Clear caches
c) Assign the secondary menu to the location again

Also please check you have the exact steps to reproduce the issue because CSS class is a default feature(so we can forward it to our developers for fixing).

--
Thanks!

Bigul

June 10, 2019 at 1:41 pm #3987761

katieW-3

Thanks Bigul,

We have managed to get it working as I say by re-doing the links in question so it's not broken at the moment, and I don't want to currently follow the above steps as we're about to go live today and I wouldn't want to break it again.

However if we can get a chance I will see if I can reproduce the problem,

Thanks,
Vicky

June 10, 2019 at 2:08 pm #3988049

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Vicky,

Thank you for the feedback. Please have a close look and let me know your feedback. We will wait for your updates.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

The topic ‘[Closed] Page links synchronising classes across menus – shouldn't be’ is closed to new replies.