This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

How to translate Advanced Custom Fields?

Solution:

In order to translate Advanced CustoM Fields make sure to insall the plugins Translation Management and Advanced CustoM Fields Multilingual from your wpml.org account.

Then activate one of the WPML Translation Editors at WPML -> Settings -> How to translate posts and pages.

You will now be able to translate pages whihc include custom fields. It is not necessary to translate the custom fields groups, unless it is necessary to change the language for the custom field label on the backend accordingly.

Relevant Documentation:

https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by chadB-4 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
July 12, 2019 at 6:04 pm

chadB-4

I am trying to make edits to the french translated pages of my website. However, the editor appears to look like the normal WordPress editor instead of showing all the custom fields of the site and page template as the English page. I'm not aware of when this stopped working but it did work for many months. Another thing that broke was the WP All Import Plugin. It would not update. I had to delete the plugin and reinstall which fixed WP-Import plugin, which allowed me to update all WPML plugins which I couldn't do before. Updating to the new plugins has not fixed the issue.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: I can provide login access to wp-admin if necessary

I expected to see (on French page) the same template as the English.

July 12, 2019 at 9:49 pm #4201693

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the WPML Support Forum.

Each custom fields has a setting on WPML which lets you set the field to "Not translate", "copy", "copy once" or "translate".

https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/

You find respective custom field settings on each page for its content inside of the Multilingual Content Setup at the end of the WordPress Editor.

In case of your home page as example some fields were not set to "translate" which for they did not show up inside of the WPML Translation Editor. I have fixes those fileds for the page "home". Images and URLs that do not requiere a translation can also be set to "copy" instead of translating them.

You will find translation preference options for all available custom fields at WPML -> Settings -> Custom Field Translation.

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-custom-fields/

In order to have all custom fields visible in all langauges when revising the pages on the WordPress Editor, you will only need to translate the Custom Field Groups at:

Custom Fields -> Field Groups -> Language (right sidebar) -> CLick the "+" icon and translate.

I hope this answered your question.

Kind regards
Andreas

July 12, 2019 at 10:30 pm #4201741

chadB-4

When the site was initially translated we didn't use the advanced editor to make changes, a notice popped up asking if we'd like to save the page as a different page. We saved a French version of the same page. When I try to use the editor on the homepage as you mentioned, the changed aren't reflected on the website. I'd prefer not to use the editor and to have the backend of my English page look like the backend of my translated page as it did before.

July 15, 2019 at 3:02 pm #4212639

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

If not really necessary, I would advise you to keep translating with the WPML Translation Editor in combination with our Advanced Custom Fields Multilingual Plugin, as this is currently the recommended way.

Please read here for more information:
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/#translating-field-groups

Do I understand right, that you would like to translate the custom fields on the WordPress Editor while switching the language in the top admin bar?

In this case you will need to translate the field groups and on each field group disable the WPML Translation Editor.

Go to Custom Fields -> Field Groups -> Language (right sidebar) -> Disable the option for translate with WPML Editor for all field groups.
Now, in order to make the fields appear on the backend in all languages you will need to translate the field groups.

Anyhow, please make sure to take a backup of your site before taking any of the prior mentioned steps. As mentioned earlier it is not recommended to translate the field groups in order to visualize different custom field values.

Let me know if it worked out.

Kind regards
Andreas

July 15, 2019 at 11:03 pm #4214785

chadB-4

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!