Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.4 before reporting any issue

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 2 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
September 6, 2019 at 2:42 pm

nicolasF-19

Hi,

I've been using the Advanced Translation Editor for most of my pages. However, suddenly, now when I try to edit translation, it shows me regular translation interface (in WordPress).

In a previous case, I deleted one of the page translation and restarted the translation, then it showed me again the ADvanced Translator editor with my previously translated content. But I cannot everytime do this workaround and delete all my pages translations...

Can you tell me what's triggering this behavior and how to fix it please?

Thanks in advance,

September 9, 2019 at 6:23 am #4533793

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+01:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

Can you update WPML and its addons? You can see the latest versions here:
https://wpml.org/account/downloads/

also, I checked few pages, such as this one:
hidden link

But it seems to be that there is a translation already added into classic translation editor, so it would suggest that it has been added here already and not through ATE ( since ATE uses its own translation memory and is an external system).

Is it working for new translations? Because if they go out of the sync for some reason, there is no way to revert the translation from CTE to ATE back again.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

September 9, 2019 at 9:00 am #4534941

nicolasF-19

Hi Bruno,

As I mentioned, that's exactly the issue here : I translated my pages using ATE and now it shows the CTE.

One thing I've done was using the String Translation tool to modify some strings. Could that have desynchronized my pages ? (As I used that to modify a string that is on many pages).

For the rest of the translation, they haven't changed and should have stayed in ATE.

Can you also confirm this assumption : all the strings translated via ATE are still in the memory so that if I 1. delete the translated page, then 2. create a new translation, it's gonna translate automatically all my strings again ?

Thanks for the support,
Jonathan

September 9, 2019 at 9:57 am #4535737

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi Jonathan,

One thing I've done was using the String Translation tool to modify some strings.

I am not sure that's the case - however, this could be if somebody did this (for example translator who did not have access to ATE):
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/annoying-warning-popup-with-translation-management/#post-1420173

Because this is what is behind the scenes:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/how-wpml-keeps-track-of-your-translations/

Can you also confirm this assumption : all the strings translated via ATE are still in the memory so that if I 1. delete the translated page, then 2. create a new translation, it's gonna translate automatically all my strings again ?

I tried this on a fresh page in order to confirm whether this is indeed the case - here are the results. I did the following:
1) created new page with some demo content
2) translated automatically this page within ATE
3) I disabled ATE for this (desynchronized them), so "broke" it
4) I deleted the translatied page
5) created new translation which went through ATE again
6) the result is that I can see the translations which were there before, so I assume that they are linked either according to page ID or slug or both

However, I have not tested what happens if you modify strings on this page significantly (like removing them or adding), whether ATE recognises old string and matches them according to translation memory.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

September 9, 2019 at 1:58 pm #4537779

nicolasF-19

Hi Bruno,

I have reproduced the bug :

Step 1 : erase translated page showing the CTE & recreate a new ATE translated page
---------
- I delete the translated page (garbage + delete deffinitely)
- I recreate the translation with ATE by clicking on the "+" in the "All pages" screen.
- All strings are still in ATE and I can publish the translation again.

Step 2: I make modification to a string using "String Translation"
---------
- I open "String Translation" and look for a string on my test page.
- I modify this string and can see it updated on the page on my website.
- I click on the "pen" in the "all pages" screen to edit the translation --> it now opens the CTE !

Can you check if :
- "String Translation" is synchronized with ATE or is considered as CTE?
- Is this considered as a bug (and will be fixed) or is it normal behavior?

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan

September 10, 2019 at 6:51 am #4542319

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

- Is this considered as a bug (and will be fixed) or is it normal behavior?

https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/how-wpml-keeps-track-of-your-translations/#changing-the-translation-method

This is a normal behavior, as per this link:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/how-wpml-keeps-track-of-your-translations/#changing-the-translation-method

Because string translation is classic translation editor in fact, because this is how that content is stored and how it can be accessed outside of translation editor interface. If you go to WPML -> packages, you will see packages which store information related to translations of pages created using page builders.

Regards,
Bruno Kos