This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 4.13 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lauren 7 months, 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
March 16, 2019 at 7:54 am #3359189

angelaH-8

I am trying to: Transition from qTranslate to WPML

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: none (I had to restore older version of site)

I expected to see: The English and German translation of each page

Instead, I got: The English translation only

So I am trying to transition a bilingual (English and German) site from qTranslate-X to WPML. I followed all instructions and used the qTranslate Importer. After the import was finished, all German page translations disappeared. I switched back to qTranslate and deactivated WPML hoping they would reappear, but no. They're gone. I tried adding a new German translation to one of my pages and switching back to WPML, but that just creates one page with English on top, and then the German page below the English version. So bizarre. I'm using Divi, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it? There are tons of pages, so this is a bit of a nightmare. I'll be able to restore the previous edit of each of the main pages, but I really don't want to have to go through every single page and create new translations all over again.

March 16, 2019 at 4:45 pm #3360985

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-05:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this. First, please make sure that you have the correct languages active at WPML -> Languages, and also that you had the same language code for German that you used in qTranslate.

NExt, please be sure to make a full backup of your site and database. Then, go to WPML -> Support -> Troubleshooting.

Look for 'Clean up' and click the following:
- Synchronize posts taxonomies for Pages
- Clear the cache in WPML
- Remove ghost entries from the translation tables
- Fix element_type collation
- Set language information
- Fix Terms count
- Fix post assignment for translations

After this, do your German pages appear?

March 22, 2019 at 6:29 am #3437677

angelaH-8

I followed the instructions you laid out, but there are still some issues.

I've created a short video so you can see what I'm talking about: hidden link

The first part shows the English version of a page. But as I scroll down to the end of the page, it starts over with the German version.

Then, I show you the German page that was created (I'm guessing from the qTranslate Importer?), and it's all messed up with none of the settings saved (e.g. there's a sidebar when there shouldn't be and many divi elements are missing).

You can also see how the menu is in both english and german with the [:en] [:de] tags everywhere.

Where do I go from here?

March 22, 2019 at 6:14 pm #3443363

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-05:00)

Do you currently have German language activated in WPML?

Also, did you have the correct languages set up before you ran the import? It sounds like the content that was in German is not importing to its own language, which is why I ask to check these steps.

Another thing that could be happening is that there could be a conflict with a theme or plugin during the import. I suggest backing up an older version of your site. Then, disable all plugins and switch to a default theme such as Twenty Nineteen. After this, follow the steps on the qTranslate Importer documentation here: https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/qtranslate-importer/

Please let me know the results of this test.