This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
September 27, 2019 at 11:02 pm

stevenW-15

Hello WPML Support,

We are assisting a client make their English site available in Chinese (simplified). We are encountering problems getting the page URLs to behave as desired.

I am trying to:

We need the URLs to retain the path structure of the English site. Preferably the URL would stay in English (not translated). Instead, WPML is generating pages with /zh-hans/'?page_id=xyz' for Chinese translated content.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

hidden link
(language switcher is in the footer on the dev site)

hidden link

I expected to see:

/products/memory/flash/spi-nand/3-0-volt/

Instead, I got:

/zh-hans/?page_id=8883

What we have tried:

We tried changing "Page URL" setting under "Translated documents options" to " Copy from original language if translation language uses encoded URLs ." We also flushed permalinks. And the site still uses the page ID for URLs.

We've searched through your forum and tried a few fixes:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/translated-documents-options-page-url-issues/

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/encode-urls-what-does-it-mean-if-i-put-yes-or-no/#post-1329540

Neither of the above helped.

We tried creating new pages to see if they would use the desired URL structure, and they do not.

How can we get the URLs for the Chinese content to match the English URLs?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Steven

September 28, 2019 at 12:27 am
September 28, 2019 at 12:28 am #4656951

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Review my last comment, try to create a parent/page now and let me know your results as I was able to get it working as expected.

The topic ‘[Closed] Page URLs default to '?page_id=xyz' for Chinese translated content’ is closed to new replies.