This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 24 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Ricardo Alday 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Ricardo Alday.

Author Posts
August 16, 2018 at 11:37 am

Retired Account

I am trying to: Add one more language (Turkish)

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: A website with good performance

Instead, I got: A website with bad performance

Please check the screenshots.
One before the activation of the 3rd language 1018 MB available of 1024 MB.
And one after the activation of the 3d language 577 MB available of 1024 MB.

August 16, 2018 at 5:00 pm #2650804

Ricardo Alday

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this.

First of all, please try increasing the WP Memory Limit. Minimum requirements are 128Mb: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

You can add this to wp-config.php to increase WP memory:

/** Memory Limit */
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

Add it above the line /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

Let me know if that makes any difference in terms of performance.

Best regards,
Ricardo

August 17, 2018 at 7:31 am #2652507

Retired Account

Hi Ricardo,
thank you very much for your fast and kind feedback. Unfortunately this issue is not related to the known Memory Exhausted Error of WP. I've added the code but no difference in terms of the performance or databank usage.

August 20, 2018 at 3:15 pm #2659944

Ricardo Alday

Sorry for the late reply.

Please see our documentation for how to increase WPML performance: https://wpml.org/2012/01/can-your-site-run-faster/

Depending on how many strings your site has, this can impact performance a little bit. As a suggestion, you can remove strings that are not translated. To do this, please follow the steps below:

- Click on the WPML > String Translation
- Scroll down and look at the "Auto register strings for translation"
- Click on the "Edit" button
- Uncheck all strings which you do not want to be automatically indexed
- Click on the "Apply" button

Also, in WPML > String Translation, you can remove all strings that are not being translated - some you may not even need. I'll attach an image for you to see.

Please, let me know if the performance of your site is better after following these steps.

Thank you.

August 20, 2018 at 5:16 pm #2660368

Retired Account

Thank you very much for your kind feedback. But does this really affect the MySQL Database in some way?

August 20, 2018 at 7:54 pm #2660849

Ricardo Alday

The more languages you add the more entries are done to the database thus increasing its size. The amount of data depends on the amount of content, plugins, and media. By deleting unused strings from the String translation table you will reduce the database size. Again, this depends on the number of strings you delete.

August 20, 2018 at 8:21 pm #2660911

Retired Account

Sure. But how can it be that the website is creating more than 1 GB of database volume just by adding one more language? There are 2 existing language variants of the website (German / English). As soon as I add and edit a third one (Turkish) the MySQL database is overloaded. It starts from ca. 15 MB to ca. 300 to 1116 MB. It would be awesome if we can pinpoint the source of the error.

August 21, 2018 at 12:19 am #2661205

Ricardo Alday

We can only do that if you have a copy of the database prior to adding the language. That way we can compare its size, add the new language and see which tables were affected.
If you have a Duplicator package prior to adding the language please upload it to a service like Google Drive or Dropbox and paste the link in the private field below.

Thanks

August 21, 2018 at 1:35 pm
August 22, 2018 at 5:28 pm #2667582

Ricardo Alday

Thanks. I installed the package and the database that came separately. This installation already had the 3 languages installed. So to test the issue if just adding more languages increased the database size I added two more random languages in WPML -> Languages. The database size didn't increase significantly. I screen-recorded the process: hidden link

Did I miss anything?

August 22, 2018 at 6:52 pm #2667787

Retired Account

Hi Ricardo, thank you very much for your feedback. Please try to edit the text on the different pages for the Turkish version via Themify Editor.

August 23, 2018 at 1:03 am #2668372

Ricardo Alday

Still not much difference: hidden link

August 23, 2018 at 2:40 pm #2670525

Retired Account

Hi Ricardo, interesting. Today I have a couple urgent tasks to do but I will start to edit the page on the server on the weekend or next week. It would be awesome if we could set up a live session while I am edititing the page. So than maybe we may figure out the issue together? What do you think? Possible?
Kind regards,
Cagatay

August 23, 2018 at 9:56 pm #2671692

Ricardo Alday

You can request a video call through this page: https://wpml.org/get-help/ask-support-video-call/

September 1, 2018 at 10:27 am #2695838

Retired Account

I have checked the wordpress installation and all the other plugins. It does make sense if we set up a video call. I've used the form which you have provided.

The topic ‘[Closed] Performance and Database issue since adding one more language’ is closed to new replies.