This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by Johnny 3 years, 7 months ago.

Assigned support staff: George Botsev.

Author Posts
August 24, 2016 at 7:50 am #1018546

George Botsev
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Sofia (GMT+03:00)

WPML 3.5 was released with major performance improvements regarding handling of strings in the string translation plugin. In that version, we created a separate table that helped with the strings, by caching them and thus speeding-up the performance of the sites.
However, this created a problem with the size of the table, so we released a new version - that further improves the speed of your site - WPML 3.5.1 - and this version uses two separate tables.
With two tables, we are able to limit the size of the table -> by more efficiently creating the cache of the strings.

This brings us to the current issue.

Currently, there might be some issues because we mistakenly created additional index in one of the two tables that we created, and we need and use only one.

This leads to some performance issues, growth in queries and growth in table size - because of the index size.

Our developers are aware of the issue and they are working now on a fix for this.
We are ready to test that fix in production on our site - wpml.org and after it passes tests, we expect that the performance would be greatly improved and the table size to be with a proper size.
After our tests, we expect to release very soon a new official version that fixes this problems.

August 25, 2016 at 6:29 am #1020724

Martin

Thanks for the update George.

I'm traveling right now, and will have sporadic Internet in the coming weeks, but thinking that 3.5.1 official release would fix the issue, I just upgraded from 3.5.1 beta 3, and my database has just doubled in size in a matter of minutes.

I love what you guys do here, but your reactive testing and fixing of these issues (rather than proactive) is killing me. Please try to get a handle on this stuff.

August 25, 2016 at 8:44 am #1020974

George Botsev
Supporter

We just released WPML 3.5.1.1 and other related plugins/addons.
The performance issues reported in this ticket should be resolved now.

August 25, 2016 at 8:52 am #1020983

George Botsev
Supporter

Marking this ticket as resolved.
If you encounter any similar problems with the latest version - WPML 3.5.1.1 and its addons - please open a new ticket - so that we can handle it with highest priority.

August 25, 2016 at 2:29 pm #1022104

Martin

Nope, my database is still growing about 10MB an hour.

I'll open a ticket, but I do wish we could avoid this stuff.

August 25, 2016 at 2:45 pm #1022166

George Botsev
Supporter

I need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site – preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible – in order to be of better help. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

August 29, 2016 at 3:18 am #1026503

Helton

We are still facing high loads on the server...needed to upgrade memory at amazon...

August 29, 2016 at 6:14 am #1026592

George Botsev
Supporter

@Helton, if you are still experiencing this problem, please open a new ticket so that we can investigate properly your case and dedicate the appropriate attention to your specific case.

September 28, 2016 at 8:40 pm #1104116

Johnny

I don't know what you guys did for 3.5.3 but things are wayyyy faster. Thank you!!!