Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 25 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by George Botsev 5 years, 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: George Botsev.

Author Posts
November 7, 2016 at 8:15 am #1131113

George Botsev
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Sofia (GMT+02:00)

I am sorry, there is no faster way available. As specified in our support policy - we provide support only via this forum.
I have tried to login multiple times to your site and in all attempts there was either a captcha problem with the cache, or the credentials that were invalid.
The Duplicator that you sent to me, was missing key files, that made impossible for me to determine the source of the performance issue.
I would love to login and try to see the source of the performance issue is.
Maybe you would like to provide me a new set of credentials that work, and un-ban my IP address.

November 7, 2016 at 12:36 pm #1131410

George Botsev
Supporter

I managed to login to your site now.
Could you direct me to a page that loads slowly, so that I can attempt to see the problem?
Right now, I see nothing out of the ordinary - at first glance, everything is loading just fine.
The only problem that I noticed is that you still have Translation Analytics plugin, and as far as I know this is no longer supported plugin, however, this should not affect performance.

November 7, 2016 at 2:55 pm #1131545

Sander

I don't understand that you write that the performance is ok? Every page (including the admin pages) takes more then 8-20 seconds to load. I tried on different networks, so that can't be the case. I also ran the p3 profiler again, and you can see that the different WPML cause most of the delays.

November 7, 2016 at 4:03 pm #1131625

George Botsev
Supporter

I am attempting to investigate the problem.
For me your site loads around 4 to 6seconds for a page.
I was able to get a duplicator clone from the already available in your install, so now I can test the issue in my local setup.
When I have more information, I will get back to you.

November 7, 2016 at 7:30 pm #1131809

Sander

Hi George,
Thank you for that. I think 6 seconds to load a page with so little information is still very long and unacceptable.

November 8, 2016 at 7:56 am #1132046

George Botsev
Supporter

I agree that 6 seconds is a bit high too. This is why I am attempting to trace the issue in my clone of your site.

November 8, 2016 at 10:57 am #1132240

George Botsev
Supporter

Okay, I found out now one function that registers a shortcode.

Do you use the shortcode: [custom_latest_products] anywhere?
I see that in my setup this function is responsible for the half of the load time of your site.
That shortcode is in your theme: \wp-content\themes\theretailer\functions.php at line 1145.
Maybe if you don't use that function, you can try and comment-out line 2721 - where this shortcode is being added and registered, and this may signifincantly speed-up your site.

I am continuing to debug your performance issues and I have notified our developers about potential issues with this kind of functions/shortcodes.

Please let me know if this helps you with the performance.

November 8, 2016 at 11:16 am #1132262

Sander

I commented out the function. I used a "recent products" slider on the homepage, which i removed now. I see a very slight improvement in the performance. But the problem does not only appear on the frontend but also on the backend. I still see with the P3 profiler that Sitepress Multilingual Cms causes the most delay.

November 8, 2016 at 3:14 pm #1132534

George Botsev
Supporter

I see two most costly functions:
1. shortcode_custom_latest_products for the shortcode: [custom_latest_products]
2. shortcode_featured_products_mixed for the shortcode: [featured_products_mixed]

These functions use very heavy PHP output buffering and calling functions inside it.
This creates a delay of about 3 to 4 seconds in my environment per function, out of total load time of 10secs!
Commenting out row: 28 in \themes\theretailer\inc\shortcodes\mixed\featured-products-mixed.php
Commenting out row: 2721 in \themes\theretailer\functions.php
This reduced the site load time in my test environment to 3.04secs. according to blackfire.

Because I am testing on my local laptop, that is not a server, in my opinion this would translate to about 60% speed-up for your site.
Since your site loads for 4 to 6seconds it would load from 2 to 3 seconds, which is very acceptable speed in my opinion.

Some people consider PHP output buffering a very costly in terms of performance method of running things.

I brought this to the attention of our developers and once I have more information - I will let you know.

November 10, 2016 at 8:06 am #1133794

Sander

Hi George,

I tried your solution, but this didn't result in a significant improvement in the performance. The featured products function is only used on the homepage, when I comment it out half of my homepage is gone, because these featured products are show there. On other pages there is no real improvement either.
I think the real delay is not in the options of the theme since I don't use them all and not everywhere in the site, but are in the WPML part. How else can you explain the bad performance on the admin part?

November 10, 2016 at 9:04 am #1133838

George Botsev
Supporter

I am a bit confused.
My investigation shows a significant improvement in the frontend.
Can you give an example of a page that is affected by the performance, so that I could test there as well?
I had not tested the admin, what do you mean about the performance in the admin part? Could you explain a bit more please, so that I could attempt to help you.

The topic ‘[Closed] Performance issues with Sitepress Multilingual Cms and Wpml String Translation.’ is closed to new replies.