This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shekhar Bhandari 1 year, 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
September 14, 2018 at 1:23 pm #2735476

tonyF-5

Tell us what you are trying to do?

I am trying to optimize my websites speed and have noticed that WPML increases the servers response time by atleast 1 second. I dont believe WPML should be slowing down the site to that extent and would like someone to help me investigate.

I would appreciate if a wpml developer could go into the site and attempt to optimize my plugin to the best of their ability and show me what they have done. I have a staging site which i've included a link for and would like to give all the necessary access for.

Is there any documentation that you are following?

I have followed your debugging documentation for performance increase.

Is there a similar example that we can see?
Not at the moment.

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

September 17, 2018 at 6:12 am #2739711

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'd be happy to assist you further on this issue.

I understand your concern regarding the performance. I hope you understand that performance issues depend upon the site, it's server, plugins used and furthermore factors.

I would also like to let you know that multilingual plugins take more resources than other plugins as it needs to connect all plugins/themes strings and translate them accordingly. So, the fact is that if you have more plugins and themes (with a large number of strings) WPML will try to translate them which adds significant load and you will feel the performance issue, which is normal somehow.

In every update, we are trying to increase the performances of our plugins.

To test if your site is just having performance issue due to high load of strings or resources needed for the plugins I would request you to check the performance when:
1) All non-WPML Plugins are disabled.
2) The theme is set to a WordPress default like Twenty sixteen.

This test will let us know if it's just the plugins/themes resources that are making site performance high or it's something that's in our plugin itself.

Further, here are a few things you can try to increase the site performance:
http://wpml.org/2012/01/can-your-site-run-faster/
http://wpml.org/faq/why-string-translation-appears-to-slow-down-sites/

Does the above steps help you to get a better performance?

Also, we recently released new versions of WPML plugins with fixes and improvements so could you please update the plugin to the latest version and let me know if this helps?

NOTE:

+ Make a backup (both files and database) for your site before updating/proceeding anything (Always a good practice!). You can use a plugin for this if you like. I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose. See: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

The topic ‘[Closed] Performance issues with WPML plugins’ is closed to new replies.