This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 27 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shekhar Bhandari 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
September 20, 2018 at 6:53 am

kevinv-13

We have got a permalink issue, when going to hidden link and hover over expertises. All the pages below there are post types from ''services''. Now they will work correctly, but every few days it gives a 404 error, and showing the Dutch version of the link in the English part of the website for example hidden link (now working) but will be hovered in the menu as hidden link (where now the ''onze-diensten'' part is actually Dutch so doesnt work because this is displayed as hidden link....

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: I've currently fixed the issue by resaving the permalinks. This allways helps, but the problem comes back every 4-5 days.

At the moment I've updated the new ''media translation'', don't knwo if this could be related to the issue? Plugins were all up to date (inclusive wpml) except some update of media translation. Just did this and permalink issue was resolved for now.

The problem is that our customer encountered this issue about 5 times the last month, and every time they noticed it before us, so they are kind of angry now. So if you could provide us with a sustainable solution I would be grateful 🙂

For now I couldn't give you access yet to a testwebsite because its giving some strange redirect error after trying to login; hidden link

Note: ftp details are for the Live website so please don't do anything strange 🙂

Note2: duplicator has been having some mallware issues lately so i prefer not to use it for now

September 21, 2018 at 7:52 am #2754214

kevinv-13

Unfortunately the problem happened again yesterday. I switched the themes to see if it was theme related but strangely enough while switching and switching back the issue dissappeared again. See screenshot of the wrong links. I see now the url is not visible.. but it was: hidden link
So there is an issue with these post type translations. It gives the Dutch one on the English website, which doesn't exist because it should appear on hidden link (maching services also is translated I think to something else) but most important it should appear after botau.nl/nl and not botau.nl/

September 21, 2018 at 9:05 am #2754450

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'd be happy to assist you further on this issue.

Since you mentioned you have fixed the issue by saving the permalinks currently, it will be hard to debug the issue currently as the issue is not reproducible.

Being so to catch what's going wrong and creating such issue, I request you to enable the debugging and wait until the issue happens again, please perform the below steps and share me the results once the issue happens again?

Debugging
1. Please follow the debugging information provided here: http://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/ .
2. Repeat the action of creating the problem.
3. Copy and paste the contents of debug.log (log file inside the /wp-content/ directory) here for me to see.

Further, it can be also happening as some plugins might affect the permalinks on the certain time if you can could you please disable non-wpml plugins and activate default theme on a test site and see if the issue happens again?

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

September 21, 2018 at 9:48 am #2754691

kevinv-13

Allright, the debuggin is on, although its a bit shit to have to replicate the problem because the customer is not happy with this. Also it just happened again last night untill this morning but I just fixed it about an hour before your reply.

I have one other side using same plugins and theme: hidden link where the issue doesn't happen. I just checked and the website hidden link is still using very old versions of WPML; 3.9.1 and 2.7.1 for example. I think it can be some problem with the latest update(s)? Or perhaps something that should be changed in the settings. Because this problem didn't happen I think untill about a good week ago. Has there any update been from wpml since last 2 weeks orso that could have caused this?

September 21, 2018 at 9:52 am #2754764

kevinv-13

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

Is this okay like this for the debugging? I needed to add the last line else it would look like this on the site (see attachment)

September 21, 2018 at 10:23 am #2754887

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

Yes, that's ok.

Looking at your description, it looks like a rewrite rules error. I don't think it's happening due to the plugin update as I couldn't replicate the same issue on my test server.

To further debug and test the settings, Could you please provide me a backup of your wp-content (without uploads) as well as database backup so I can replicate your site on my localhost and perform further debugging.

You can zip these files and upload to google drive later to share it with me.

I have enabled the private reply for you.

Thanks

September 21, 2018 at 12:18 pm #2755136

kevinv-13

Hi at the moment the problem occured I noticed. Here is the debug log:

[removed]

I will try to send other details later for debugging and as for now I will resave the permalinks not to have unsatisfied customer 🙂

September 21, 2018 at 12:21 pm #2755152

kevinv-13

Hi at the moment the problem occured I noticed. Here is the debug log: I will try to send duplicator package tonight. Hope you can allready do something with the debug files (and or FTP login) in the mean time.

[removed]

September 21, 2018 at 12:23 pm #2755160

kevinv-13

Could you send me one more private link so that I can upload the correct login details for you? pressed send by accident but not yet correct. I hope you can replicate and see whats the issue with these details for now, else tonight I will try to send database and wp-content. How can I upload these? by wetransfer link?

September 24, 2018 at 6:34 pm #2761594

kevinv-13

Hi,

Have you had time to check in the issue? Unfortunately its still persisting, almost daily.

Looking forward to your reply.

September 25, 2018 at 2:23 am #2762185

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

Yes, you can zip those files using google drive and send the link to me, or you can use wetransfer link too, I have enabled the private reply for send the details to me so I can debug the issue further.

Thanks

September 25, 2018 at 7:10 am
September 25, 2018 at 10:53 am #2763453

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

I replicated your site and started to observe the site, but I couldn't find the 404 issue, could you please let me know if there is some step to step guide to reproduce the issue?

Further, I noticed that while trying to login and logout on your duplicator package I can receive 404 issue which is solved by deactivating the wps hide login, so could you also check if disabling this plugin helps?

Thanks

September 25, 2018 at 11:03 am #2763465

kevinv-13

Just wait a while it will occur within a day. It occured last weekend and Ive send you the debug log of it above like you asked. Can you see anything in there?

The wps hide login will only give a 404 error on logging into /wp-admin but doesn't have anything to do with the post types 404s which is the problem. Since we use this plugin combined with wpml also on another website. I don't really have knowledge of these issues but to me it looks like some rewriting problem?

September 26, 2018 at 7:41 am #2766224

kevinv-13

Hi Shekhar,

The problem just occured again on the original website, have you had the problem on your replicate as well?

Hope that we can solve the issue soon because the customer doesn't really like this or their website visitors..

Thanks in advance.