This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
July 8, 2019 at 10:54 am

butterandflyB

Hi team,
I had an issue few weeks ago where all the pictures from my website had disappeared.
After that, I had to insert one by one in each post and in both language; english and portugues.
Anyway, now I realized that some posts in portuguese had to change the photos back to the english version. So I have no idea why and how does that is changing by itself.
ANy ideas? What can I do to make that stop?
Many thanks

July 8, 2019 at 4:11 pm #4164287

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

1. You wrote: "...now I realized that some posts in portuguese had to change the photos back to the english version. .."

Can you please provide a link to one of these posts/pages?

2. Temporary Access to your system
Please provide access to your system (wp-admin and ftp) so that I can further investigate this particular problem. The fields to provide this data are included in a private section that I will open for your next response. You can find it above the comments area. The information in this private section is only visible between WPML Support and you.

July 8, 2019 at 4:52 pm
July 9, 2019 at 12:06 pm #4170439

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

I took a look at the sample post you provided. (id = 3827)

Do you mean that the AltTexts for the images are not what you are expecting? How can I see that the images are "incorrect" on the frontend? in other words, how are your website visitors seeing the wrong text?

Thanks for the clarification. I do see, for example, that the cycling alt text is in English in the source page when the Translation Editor clearly says "ciclismo". Is this what you are referring to?

July 17, 2019 at 2:37 pm #4231291

butterandflyB

Hi Yvette, sorry for the late reply. I've been quite busy lately.
Anyway, what I mean is that I've inserted the pictures on my posts, I've made the translation, but after a while starts to show in English instead of Portuguese. Looks like it goes back to the main language and it doesn't keep the translation, somehow.

July 17, 2019 at 5:35 pm #4232635

Yvette
Supporter

Ok - so you are only seeing the "English" text (e.g. Croatia) in the BACKEND? e.g. when you edit the image details?

This may be because the WPML filter will replace the translated Alt text, description ...etc. on the frontend. How are you getting to the 2nd screenshot?

July 27, 2019 at 10:33 am #4293189

butterandflyB

Hello Yvette,
Let me try being clearer explaining the issue i am facing.
I have attached 3 screenshots:
1- "Posts"page: This screenshot shows a good example of a post that was translated and is working as expected.
2- "Posts"page: This screenshot shows a post which i completed the translation multiple times, but for some reason, it keeps going back and showing as incomplete. Next item number 3 has more details.
3- "Post translation" page: In this page i have circled in blue an item which i translated and it remains translated as expected. In red its an item which i have translated before but for some reason, it has gone back to English. At the bottom, you see the bar saying the post was only translated 42%, however, i completed the translation multiple times before but it keeps going back. This post about Majorca is only one example, the same is happening with other posts.

I hope this makes things clearer for you.
Your help is much appreciated.

Regards,

July 29, 2019 at 10:12 am #4298633

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

There were two translation jobs acting on the same post translation (job id= 41, and job id= 171) . This seemed to be preventing any save from completing.

I cancelled the open jobs, then resent the post to translation through Translation Management system.

This seems to now be working as I was able to save the post with the Portuguese version of "Majorca, Spain" change dto "Maiorca, Espanha".

I can see this now persisting.

Do you?

What other post is having this same issue?

July 30, 2019 at 1:22 pm #4307953

butterandflyB

Hi Yvette,
How do I prevent this to happen in the future?
As I've mentioned before, it keeps reoccurring from time to time on most posts and I completed the translation multiple times but it keeps going back to English.
And do I need to use the Translation Management? I rather do it manually, as I can make sure the translation are spot on.
May thanks

July 30, 2019 at 1:34 pm #4308033

Yvette
Supporter

I believe this MIGHT happen when you don´t completely finish a translation action before instigating more changes...but I really cannot be sure.

I only used the Translation Management system in order to make sure a NEW job-id was assigned after cancelling the existing jobs. You don´t have to use the system at all and can make all edits manually.

You wrote: ".. I completed the translation multiple times but it keeps going back to English..."

If this is happening, it is usually because the save is not synching to the post-content. So, you can think of the save action as two-step: first save the translations to the string translaiton table (for Classic Translation Editor) or the ATE server for the Advanced Translation Editor. Then, when you do "Save and close", there is a second step of synchronising the content of the editor with the post-contnent for the post-id.

If it happens again, please open a new ticket.

July 31, 2019 at 8:55 am #4313041

butterandflyB

Sorry Yvette,
I've got a bit confused with this part:
"If this is happening, it is usually because the save is not synching to the post-content. So, you can think of the save action as two-step: first save the translations to the string translaiton table (for Classic Translation Editor) or the ATE server for the Advanced Translation Editor. Then, when you do "Save and close", there is a second step of synchronising the content of the editor with the post-contnent for the post-id."

I didn't understand what I need to do. You've said that there are two steps for the translation.
What I normally what I do is: WPML - Media Translation and then I translate all pictures.
After I insert the media to the posts (in English), I save and I go for the step of translating the post (as the picture attached). Normally, on these steps, the pictures are already translated, and I "save and close".
But after a while, it shows that the translation is incomplete, even though I've done it before.
My question still, how can I prevent this?

July 31, 2019 at 11:18 am #4313861

Yvette
Supporter

If the translation is showing as incomplete - and you are unable to "Save and complete" , then it may be that there is a database inconsistency as before.

I stated that I cannot say what is causing this in your installation.

The steps you provided do not seem to be incorrect.

The topic ‘[Closed] Photos changing translation’ is closed to new replies.